Salmon Atlas Home Page 

Go Back   Salmon Atlas Forums > ATLANTIC SALMON AND SEA TROUT RIVERS > Scotland > Dee, Aberdeenshire

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th September 2013, 11:58

ken@fishdee is on a distinguished road
Default Re: River Dee Media Reports 2013

LAST WEEK

As autumn approaches farmers are finishing their harvest of arable crops, leaves are just beginning to change colour as daylight hours shorten and air & water temperatures fall. Well it's been another challenging week for anglers who make the best of current low water conditions and fish stoically in the hope of catching a salmon before the fishing season closes. FishDee beats report 77 salmon to 22lbs and 11 sea trout for the week. Park reported 13 salmon, Ardoe and Murtle 10 salmon, with Birse reporting 9 salmon. We did have a bit of rain on Saturday but not enough to encourage fish to run the river in good numbers. If we get a decent heavy, prolonged rainfall the results will improve significantly as water temperatures drop, fish instinctively know they want to get to their spawning grounds by late autumn.

I received an e-mail from Lawrence Hunt who was fishing at Park South on Saturday where he had some success. Lawrence commented ‘Hi Ken, Hope you are well. I went to Park South today with my son, Joshua. Expectations were low with no real water to speak of for months now, so we were delighted when a nice fish took a size 15 Editor in Greenbanks (not a fly I've often used in September!). Joshua had a good tussle with the fish, which was duly landed without fuss. We were well looked after by Bert, who was very considerate to allocate pools suitable for a 6 year old to be at, and a great day was had by all. Off to do a rain dance now. All the best, Lawrence.' I also spoke to Stuart Buchan who had a day's fishing at Park South and also had success with a 5lb fish at Bulwarks on the smallest fly he could find in his fly box. I spoke with Keith Cromar, head Ghillie at Park who was pleased to report a few fish landed this morning and a few lost as the river temperature has fallen to 53 degrees Fahrenheit overnight. He reported a mixed bag of fish last week with a mixture of coloured and fresh fish with the biggest landed 39.5 inches at the Long Pool. He cited the drop in water temperatures as the catalyst for the fish becoming a bit more co-operative. Michael Bittner, who was fishing at Morven commented saying ‘ lost a salmon and a sea trout, the hook hold failing on both occasions. Water levels the lowest I've seen in the times I have fished the Dee.'

Joshua Hunt with a salmon he enjoyed having a lively tussle with at Park

I was delighted to receive an e-mail from Spanish angler Miguel Aguilar which I am sure will interest River Dee Anglers. Miguel commented ‘Hello Ken, This is Miguel Aguilar from Spain. We were in contact 4 years ago when I published an article about Dee in a Spanish fishing magazine. Flymage.net has just published a new article about Dee, a Black and white photographic essay, mostly focused on Lower Crathes. Go to the weblink this link I'm sure you will like it. Best, Miguel.' I had a look at this article which is a very enjoyable read with some great photography. Its articles like this that emanate from around the world that helps show how highly regarded the River Dee is as a top global angling destination.

Please remember I need your help to write this weekly column, write with any news of catches or anecdotes with images to ken@riverdee.org Tight Lines to you all! Copyright FishDee. Ken Reid © FishDee Ltd.

SALMON & GRILSE: Ardoe and Murtle 10, Culter 6, Altries and Lower Drum 4, Tilbouries 4, Park 13, Lower Crathes and W Durris 3, Upper Blackhall 3, Cairnton 1, Commonty 1, Kincardine 4, Dess 3, Birse 9, Aboyne Water 1, Aboyne Castle 1, Craigendinnie 1, Dinnet 2, Headinch and Cambus O'May 2, Monaltrie and Lower Invercauld 4, Morven 1, Crathie 4, Total 77
SEA TROUT: Ardoe and Murtle 5, Park 1, Lower Crathes and W Durris 1, Birse 3, Aboyne Water 1, Total 11

PROSPECTS

The BBC weather forecaster this morning advised viewers that air temperatures in rural parts of Scotland got below zero degrees Celsius overnight and it was noticeably cooler this morning. Weather forecasters are suggesting we will continue to see temperatures cooling down through the week and there should be some rain showers, but not any significant rainfall forecast. The maritime influence sees tides falling through the week from 4.4 metres to 3.7 metres. We really need a good flood to get the river in good heart for the remaining weeks of the fishing season. River levels are currently 3 inches at Mar Lodge and 7 inches at Park and minus 2 inches at Heughhead on the Feugh. The river is currently carrying a bit of sediment and weed following a small rise on Saturday morning. When this settles I'm sure anglers will have some sport however anglers will have to work hard for their success.

Anglers fishing the river during an autumn week for the last few years will have been used to seeing the river with higher water levels. Well this year fish will be more condensed because of lower flows and as a result they will have seen all the usual popular flies for the autumn passing overhead. At this time of year red becomes a much more popular colour in the dressing of flies given a swim in the river. If your fly isn't in the water it won't catch a fish and catching fish will not be easy in the near future given the prevailing low water conditions. Anglers may enjoy success with Red Frances flies, Flamethrowers, Calvin's shrimp, Crathie fly, Silver Stoats tail and perhaps a totally different tactic-a well sunk tube fly. Visiting anglers know to make the most of their holiday and many of the bars, hotels and restaurants will be delighted to receive visiting anglers.

With the good level of rod availability on FishDee if you are considering a visit for a few days then please remember to look at the good range of accommodation on offer in the where to stay section on the FishDee website. Remember to ask for Fisherman's rates if you are coming in a group of 3 or more anglers for stays of 3 days or more, so take advantage of what's on offer and come and fish the Dee. Our accommodation providers have been working hard to ensure anglers are being well looked after. An on-line survey, currently hosted on FishDee for anglers to participate in has been providing excellent feedback from anglers. This is so helpful in ensuring hoteliers know their business model suits visiting angler's needs-there are some helpful suggestions from the survey which will help enterprising managers source more visiting anglers by taking on-board their suggestions. Over 97 % of anglers are reporting they are receiving good service at the hotels they are residing in throughout Deeside.

Finally an important thing for you to remember when you arrive on your chosen beat. All anglers and Ghillies are being asked to ensure anglers have their waders and any landing nets sprayed with a mild disinfectant prior to commencing fishing, even when they are fishing different River Dee beats during their week on the river. It's a condition of the River Dee Conservation code and must be strictly adhered to; all beats have supplies to ensure this is carried out prior to entering the river. It's a quick procedure that will help the river and prevent ingress of unwanted pathogens and non native species entering the River Dee watercourse. We also want to prevent the transfer of the highly problematic ranunculus from the lower part of the river to the upper part. Please remember to write with any news of catches or anecdotes with images to ken@riverdee.org Tight Lines to you all! Copyright FishDee. Ken Reid © FishDee Ltd.
Old 16th September 2013, 11:29

Last Week

A much better week for salmon anglers fishing the River Dee with 159 salmon and 14 sea trout reported from FishDee beats. There were some good catches made at Park where the beat reported 41 salmon for the week. Crathes reported 17, Monaltrie & Lower Invercauld had 12 and Crathie were also in double figures. This was a notable week considering the river level was extremely low and real craft was needed to get salmon to respond. There would have been a number of Ghillies feeling really delighted with the increasing catches and if anglers were in the right place at the right time, they could enjoy some great sport.

I was delighted to meet up with Paul Whitehouse who visited the River Office staff at the DDSFB AGM on Wednesday night at the Potarch Hotel. Paul was beaming from ear to ear after landing a 26lb salmon n the Monday. The fish measured 40 inches and gave him a great fight. I was delighted to receive an image of the fish from Daryl Ewer. Paul has had some remarkable success with big fish at Park over the years and this keeps his run of big fish going for another year. River Dee Trust director Jim Coates was also visiting Park for the last 3 days of the week and he reported he had 14 salmon to 15lbs for his visit. Jim was using a 7 weight rod fishing heavy black flies nymph style and had 7 for his day on Saturday. Jim is a very thoughtful angler and will experiment with tactics to find what will make the salmon respond best to his well presented fly.

Paul Whitehouse with a 40 inch long salmon at Park

I caught up with Ian Murray this morning who was pleased to see his catches pick up at Monaltrie and Lower Invercauld. Ian advised the slight rise in river levels on Thursday encouraged a bit of activity and fish were on the move. With the water temperature falling back quite a bit fish were coming to bigger flies, with 1 to 1.5 inch coneheads doing the business. Gary MacDonald’s party did well at Monaltrie with Gary catching a 15lber in Mitchells. Ian Gordon’s party at Lower Invercauld also enjoyed some good sport.

Please remember I need your help to write this weekly column, write with any news of catches or anecdotes with images to ken@riverdee.org Tight Lines to you all! Copyright FishDee. Ken Reid © FishDee Ltd.

Beat catches reported
SALMON & GRILSE: Ardoe and Murtle 7, Kingcausie 9, Culter 2, Altries and Lower Drum 5, Upper Drum and Lower Durris 6, Park 41, Lower Crathes and W Durris 1, Crathes 17, Middle Blackhall 1, Cairnton 1, Commonty 3, Sluie 1, Ballogie 7, Borrowston 6, Kincardine 3, Carlogie 1, Dess 6, Birse 2, Aboyne Water 4, Aboyne Castle 3, Craigendinnie 4, Dinnet 3, Deecastle 3, Headinch and Cambus O'May 1, Monaltrie and Lower Invercauld 12, Crathie 10, Total 159
SEA TROUT: Ardoe and Murtle 4, Altries and Lower Drum 1, Tilbouries 1, Upper Drum and Lower Durris 1, Park 1, Ballogie 2, Birse 2, Dinnet 1, Headinch and Cambus O'May 1, Total 14
TROUT: Ardoe and Murtle 4, Total 4

Prospects

The weather forecasters had created a bit of excitement with forecasts of a stormy tempest blowing in from the North Atlantic this weekend however this turned out to be a false dawn and the sun was shining and winds were a lot lighter than predicted and of course there was very little precipitation. There must have been a bit of water in the far western catchment as the river level at Mar Lodge has come up about 6 inches this morning but the other gauges are not showing any significant activity. Last night saw a much cooler night than the last few days and there was a fair grass frost this morning. The SEPA River gauges are currently 7 inches at Mar Lodge and 6 inches at Park with very little chance of there being much precipitation this week according to the Met Office. Air temperatures are dropping back with maxima of around 14 degrees Celsius this week. There may be strong winds at times as we head towards the autumnal equinox. The marine influence sees tides building through the week from 3.9 metres to 4.6 metres which may bring some new fish forward.

There is still a fair amount of fishing availability on the FishDee website so please take every opportunity to come and fish the river and catch a salmon before the season finishes. There are also a good range of accommodations available for anglers to stay in the length of Deeside so please look at the range of accommodation provision on the FishDee website. As the river is running much colder it is prudent to ensure you bring warm clothing with you for your visit. There is nothing more dispiriting for anglers than being very cold on the river bank; it does nothing for the powers of concentration.

Finally an important thing for you to remember when you arrive on your chosen beat. All anglers and Ghillies are being asked to ensure anglers have their waders and any landing nets sprayed with a mild disinfectant prior to commencing fishing, even when they are fishing different River Dee beats during their week on the river. It's a condition of the River Dee Conservation code and must be strictly adhered to; all beats have supplies to ensure this is carried out prior to entering the river. It's a quick procedure that will help the river and prevent ingress of unwanted pathogens and non native species entering the River Dee watercourse. We also want to prevent the transfer of the highly problematic ranunculus from the lower part of the river to the upper part. Please remember to write with any news of catches or anecdotes with images to ken@riverdee.org Tight Lines to you all! Copyright FishDee. Ken Reid © FishDee Ltd.
Old 23rd September 2013, 11:43

LAST WEEK

A few vital inches of water during the week really helped encourage fish to move upriver and this had the effect that I had hoped when I wrote the media column last week. FishDee beats have reported 349 salmon and 30 sea trout for the week with the biggest reported at Kincardine which was a 25lb salmon. Some of the lower beats really did well with Park reporting 46 salmon, Ardoe & Murtle 36, Altries 33 and Kingcausie 24. I mentioned that Jim Coates did well in last week's column with 14 fish for his 3 days at Park. Jim made a return to Park on Saturday and managed to catch 11 salmon for his day. He advised ‘Hi Ken I had a productive day at Park, all on the 7 weight rod which was cracking sport, 2 were sea liced and the rest a mixed bag up to 18lbs which went like stink on the light rig. The Ghillie Bert was ecstatic! I had one in the morning and ten in the afternoon. I was fishing the same fly and set up as last week. I was fishing beats one and two on the south bank.' People who know Jim appreciate he is an angler with supreme skills and very thoughtful about how he sets out to catch fish.

I got a message from Paul Whitehouse who had enjoyed some good sport with a big 25lb salmon at Park recently. Paul commented ‘Hi Ken, It was a funny old week with not much water, we were picking away and I was thrilled with the big fish which you jokingly disputed the weight! I had another couple of fish and we saw sport improve in the latter part of the week with beats like Greenbanks giving sport. Hope all is well.' James Craig visited Ardoe and Murtle on Saturday and reported one salmon, one sea trout and two brown trout on a red shrimp fly. Malcolm Anderson visited park and reported' A fantastic 2 days, Keith was his usual upbeat self and looked after us extremely well. I give him eleven out of ten for looking after Ian Wilson and myself and we look forward to next season. Ian had 4 salmon on his red Dee pig fly and I had 2 salmon on a red shrimp fly.' Graham Dawes visited a couple of beats recently and advised ‘I would make a booking to fish the Aboyne Water beat again. I fished the beat once before back in 2011 and enjoyed the fishing then as I have done this time. The Ghillie was very helpful and tried his best to get me into a fish. So no luck this time and I guess that's why we call it fishing and not catching! I had 4 fish take the fly but sadly none stayed on. I then fished at Dess and had a good two days, catching 3 fish the first day and losing 2, and on the 2nd day catching 1 and losing 1 at the net. I would book again hopefully next year. The 4 fish caught on the fly were from 10lbs to 14 lbs. The river was low and it limited the number of pools to fish, but lots of fish in the pools I fished.' Ian Coghill fished Aboyne Water and landed 4 fish on the fly.

Rob Fuller wrote about his party's annual trip to the Dee advising ‘Dear Ken, the Hawkins Week have had another highly enjoyable week despite the atrocious fishing conditions ending on Saturday 14th September. 13 of us fished on 5 beats notably Birse, Carlogie, Ballogie, Crathes and Park South. Conditions were very difficult and the river showed signs of being subjected to summer levels since the end of May. However, we persevered and managed to catch 15 salmon and grilse up to 17lb and 2 sea trout in the week. As per last year there was a shortage of cocks with only 3 being caught up to 5lb in size. This made it very difficult for us in finding suitable candidates for our annual contest for the largest cock and in fact we decided that to be eligible for this great award the fish must be in double figures! As I write a storm should be hitting Scotland which I hope will do something to the river levels although I suspect that you will need a month's rain to wash the river through. With all good wishes for the rest of the season. Rob Fuller' as always I look forward to hearing the report about the Hawkins party week and they always seem to have a great time fishing a selection of River Dee beats.

SALMON & GRILSE: Ardoe and Murtle 36, Kingcausie 24, Culter 5, Altries and Lower Drum 33, Tilbouries 8, Upper Drum and Lower Durris 5, Park 46, Lower Crathes and W Durris 11, Crathes 10, Tilquhillie 2, Little Blackhall and Inchmarlo 3, Middle Blackhall 3, Upper Blackhall 11, Cairnton 1, Woodend 7, Lower Woodend 2, Commonty 1, Sluie 5, Ballogie 22, Kincardine 8, Carlogie 9, Dess 16, Birse 16, Aboyne Water 6, Aboyne Castle 3, Craigendinnie 7, Waterside and Ferrar 3, Dinnet 7, Deecastle 5, Headinch and Cambus O'May 8, Monaltrie and Lower Invercauld 10, Crathie 15, Mar Lodge Estate 1, Total 349
SEA TROUT: Ardoe and Murtle 10, Kingcausie 1, Culter 5, Altries and Lower Drum 2, Tilbouries 1, Upper Drum and Lower Durris 2, Tilquhillie 1, Middle Blackhall 1, Cairnton 1, Woodend 1, Kincardine 1, Birse 2, Monaltrie and Lower Invercauld 2, Total 30

PROSPECTS

It's the start of the last week of the season for Upper beats from Aboyne Bridge up river and from the 1st October beats below Aboyne Bridge fish until the 15th October. There has been an overnight lift in river levels which I'm sure did not come from rainfall but water from Loch Muick which was blown out of the Loch on early Sunday morning when winds were very strong and warm from a southerly direction. This water was noted by some Ghillies yesterday and perhaps will keep fish on the move from lower beats. The SEPA gauges are reading 6 inches at Mar Lodge and 8 inches at Park. Yesterday saw us basking in 23 degrees Celsius which was very enjoyable for visitors arriving in Deeside for their forthcoming week. It's the Aberdeen holiday today and this fine weather has continued with temperatures forecast to be similar, after today temperatures will cool significantly as a couple of weather systems pass over Scotland. Different weather websites are suggesting rain on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday but not really in agreement in what volume, however they are suggesting that next week will see a lot of rain falling which will set us up nicely for the last two weeks of the season. The maritime influence sees tides falling back from 4.4 metres to 3.3 metres before tides build next week which hopefully will coincide with a much needed spate.

There is still some fishing availability on the FishDee website so please take every opportunity to come and fish the river and catch a salmon before the season finishes. There are also a good range of accommodations available for anglers to stay in the length of Deeside so please look at the range of accommodation provision on the FishDee website. It is important to listen to the wise counsel of your Ghillies and some are suggesting the pool tails are seeing fish numbers building so make sure you give pool tails a bit of attention. Feedback from anglers are suggesting red flies are now really coming into their own now however small black tube flies are also reported to be doing well. If you don't have the right flies then pay a visit to Orvis in Banchory, Somers in Aberdeen or the ever popular Kincardine O'Neil post office where there are a great selection of locally tied flies from Sean Stanton's vice and arguably the best sandwiches in Deeside prepared daily by Susan Brooks.

Old 30th September 2013, 10:58

Last Week

A challenging week for anglers as water temperatures rose during what was a lovely late summer week on Deeside which saw temperatures rise to levels above what we normally associate for the time of year. I recall a couple of years ago heavy snowfall in the 3rd week of October yet the air temperature on the way to work this morning was 12 degrees Celsius. FishDee beats reported much less fish last week compared to the week before, with a total of 137 salmon and 26 sea trout as I write , with some beats still to report their final weekly totals. Dess reported 16 salmon, Park 15, Carlogie 13 and Ballogie 12 salmon. The biggest fish of the week has seen Ballogie and Dess both reporting salmon of 19lbs in their totals.

I chatted with Sean Stanton; Ballogie Estates Ghillie this morning who advised Peter Lonsdale’s party had both Ballogie and Carlogie for the week, and was pleased to catch 25 salmon with 3 fresh silver fish in their tally. River levels were very low and very little sport was encountered by using floating lines. Anglers who fished a bit deeper got fish on Francnsnaelda, Frances flies and Sunrays. Everyone in the party caught fish during the week which pleased Peter, who finished top rod for the week. Sean also advised that Peter managed to get a MacNab on Monday with a salmon at 5pm and then a Grouse and Stag before 7.30 pm when it gets dark-quite an achievement. I can also advise that Lower Woodend proprietor Ruairidh Cooper also achieved a MacNab. Ruairidh achieved the MacNab challenge on Finzean estate on Wednesday, 18 September 2013 by hooking a salmon in the Suicide Pool on the estate’s Commonty beat on the River Dee at 6pm. This was his second successful MacNab in only three attempts and he said, “I just love to be out on the hill and the scenery on Finzean is superb and it is always nice to fish at Commonty.”

I received a text from Jim Coates who advised he had 5 salmon at Park on Saturday and lost a fish whilst fishing beat 4. Stuart Buchan and Trond Norskog were fishing at Birse for a few days and I caught up with them for a chat and bite of dinner on Thursday evening. Trond had a couple of fish and proudly declared it was 2 nil for Norway against Scotland. I received a text message from Stuart on Friday advising Scotland staged a late recovery and it was now 4-3 to Scotland. Fishing across the river at Dess were some Swedish anglers who also enjoyed some success with salmon. I chatted with Eoin Smith, Dess Estate Ghillie who advised that all anglers had a fish or two during the week with a few fish in the mid teens in weight, mostly hen fish. Fish were caught on a variety of flies from ˝ inch to 11/2 inches, mostly black and silver. Regular Dess anglers Steve Morrice from Aberdeen had a few fish during his time on the beat. John Grant from Bannockburn reports the 2 rods had 2 salmon at Morven on Saturday of 8 and 12lbs.The 12lb fish was caught and released in the Fir Tree Pool and the 8lb fish was caught in the Streams of Gairn. They reported they had an excellent day with another 3 fish hooked and lost. Richard Slocock visited Morven and advised it was a lovely setting and thoroughly enjoyable trip. Adam Marr reported he had a 10lb salmon and 2lb sea trout at Park on Frances flies. Ian Scott has Aboyne Castle water for the week and they had 3 fish for their week. I am sure many Aboyne Castle anglers will want to extend sincere best wishes to beat Ghillie Alex Coutts who retires today; the final day of the season for upper Dee beats.

Beat catches reported

SALMON & GRILSE: Ardoe and Murtle 5, Kingcausie 8, Culter 5, Altries and Lower Drum 4, Tilbouries 3, Upper Drum and Lower Durris 7, Park 15, Lower Crathes and W Durris 6, Crathes 2, Tilquhillie 1, Invery 1, Upper Blackhall 1, Cairnton 1, Woodend 1, Commonty 1, Sluie 3, Ballogie 12, Carlogie 13, Dess 16, Birse 4, Aboyne Water 1, Aboyne Castle 3, Craigendinnie 1, Waterside and Ferrar 1, Dinnet 3, Deecastle 4, Headinch and Cambus O'May 4, Monaltrie and Lower Invercauld 5, Crathie 6.

Total: 137 Largest: Ballogie & Dess 19lbs

SEA TROUT: Ardoe and Murtle 4, Kingcausie 2, Culter 5, Altries and Lower Drum 2, Tilbouries 2, Park 4, Lower Crathes and W Durris 2, Upper Blackhall 1, Woodend 2, Ballogie 1, Waterside and Ferrar 1.

Total: 26 Largest: Ballogie 4lbs

Prospects

Today sees the last day of the salmon fishing season for upper Dee beats above Aboyne Bridge and the last fortnight of the season for the lower part of the river. I have been studying the weather charts looking for signs of much needed precipitation. The last time we saw the Park gauge at over 3ft was on the 25th of June! Today sees the SEPA gauges reading 3 inches at Mar Lodge and 4 inches at Park and there is some rainfall forecast for the latter half of the week. One of the websites is suggesting quite a bit of rain on Friday and we may see rain from Wednesday through to Friday. Well I suppose it’s better late than never; if it materialises. Air temperatures will remain on the mild side for the time of year with maxima around 15 degrees Celsius and no sign of overnight frosts. Winds will breezy at times midweek coming from a south easterly direction and it shall predominately be overcast. The maritime influence sees tides building during the week from 3.4 metres to 4.5 metres. If the promised rain does produce a decent rise in river levels then we should see fish get on the move and put the river in good heart for next week.

There is still some fishing availability on the FishDee website this season so please take every opportunity to come and fish the river and catch a salmon before the season finishes-it’s a long close season. There are also a good range of accommodations available for anglers to stay in the length of Deeside so please look at the range of accommodation provision on the FishDee website. I visited Banchory Lodge Hotel this week and was shown around the really wonderful new fishing lodge at the side of the hotel. This is perfect for groups of visiting anglers looking for a great base with private dining, and is delightfully furnished with quality furniture and fittings, with drying facilities for wet clothes and a secure rod box in front of the hotel. I am sure this will be hugely popular with anglers as there is a need for this type of quality accommodation on the riverbank. Now mentioning fine dining and hotels brings me to another piece of news which may be of interest to local anglers and of course Ghillies. There will be a dinner at 7pm on Friday 1st November at the popular Tor Na Coille Hotel for River Dee Ghillies, family and friends, with a super 3 course menu and wine at a very reasonable rate for all who can manage along. General Manager Phillip Fleming wishes to show appreciation to the Ghillies who do a great job looking after visiting anglers. There will be some spaces available for anglers who are friends of our Ghillies, so if you want to attend this dinner please contact Shane Christie, secretary of the Dee Ghillies Association. Please write to shanechristie@btinternet.com to register your interest in attending what promises to be a very enjoyable evening for all who can manage to come along. There will also be very good rates for rooms for the evening if anyone wishes to stay overnight.

It is important to listen to the advice provided by your Ghillies. If you are fishing without a Ghillie be careful you don’t fish too deeply and foul hook fish as river levels are extremely low for the time of year and there is a danger of this happening where fish are concentrated in big numbers; salmon can stack up at differing water heights when lying in large shoals. Floating lines with intermediate poly leaders are more than suitable, with size 6-8 flies or small aluminium tubes ideal. Fly choice will include Frances flies, Red Ally’s shrimp, Black and Red Francnsnaelda and the Calvin’s shrimp.

Old 7th October 2013, 12:17

Last Week

A week of changing fortunes for anglers on the Dee with FishDee beats reporting 195 salmon and 27 sea trout; fishing now confined to beats below Aboyne Bridge and on the River Feugh. Everyone will be aware on Deeside how dry this summer has been so we were all delighted to see some heavy rainfall on Thursday that put a foot of water in the main stem and 3 feet of water on the Feugh. This seemed to get the fish on the move and stirred up long slumbering residents. Park finished the week with 31 salmon and grilse, Lower Crathes reported 20 with both Tilbouries and Carlogie reporting 16 and a number of bottom beats fished reasonably well. The biggest fish of the week was reported at 21lbs from Lower Crathes where a visiting party of Spanish anglers were fishing the beat. There were also large groups of Scandinavian anglers fishing many Dee beats now that their rivers are closed. Mattias Helde and his team enjoyed mixed fortunes, but when the fish came on song the anglers did well. You can read more at his informative blog which has an English translation facility here River Dee 30 sept - 5 okt | fiskebloggen.com you will see many nice images showcasing their week and you can see the passion they have for the River Dee established by their many visits to Deeside year after year.

I received an e-mail from Thomas Christensen from Denmark advising ‘Hi Ken, We visit the River Dee this last week and had a wonderful time at Lower Crathes from Monday to Wednesday. Very low water but I got this 5 pounder at Bulwarks on Tuesday on a big Frances and my mate Erwin got his first Dee salmon, a fantastic 14 pounder in the Mill pool in the afternoon and a 3 pounder in the evening, also in Mill pool. On Thursday before the rise in river levels he got a 3 pounder at Park in the pool below Durris stream on South side. On Friday he got a 5 pounder in Long Pool at Park. We had a very nice week on Deeside; both Erwin and I can’t wait until next year to come back to the wonderful river and meet the nice people around the river. We didn’t hit the run on Saturday while fishing Kingcausie, but hope to do it next year. Special thanks to Robert and Charlie on Lower Crathes who do all they can in difficult conditions; Superb Ghillies! Best regards, Thomas Christensen and Erwin Nielsen, From Denmark.’

Frede Hognestad was over from Norway with a highly experienced group of anglers who have been coming to Deeside for many years who were fishing at Cairnton, Sluie, Ballogie and Middle Blackhall on a late season holiday. Geir Magne Johnsen had booked 4 rods at Heughhead on Friday where 3 anglers paid a visit to fish this water for the first time. They were well rewarded with 7 salmon, 2 sea trout and many abortive takes from running fish at the beat. Gareth Headland, Wayne Gibbens, Thomas Berggren, John, Garry and Andy Hutson were back fishing at Carlogie and had a very enjoyable week. Gareth sent me a message advising ‘We had 16 off Carlogie for week; Wayne had 5 in first few days but was then laid up in hotel bed from Thurs-Sun with Gastroenteritis. The last 3 days saw me, Andy and Thomas just filling the 4 rods up, Thomas had 3 and Andy had 2 with yours truly getting 3 with 2 in 2 in consecutive casts. Considering water levels and bright sun all day Sat, 16 for week as good as any Dee beat over the week I think ref. rods/fish. The fish were all laying deep, so we had to get the fly deep to them. Red Francis with bright butt (swing tube) and Mini Monkey took nearly all our fish.’ I do hope Wayne has recovered and he did very well to catch 5 fish while feeling poorly.

Please remember I need your help to write this weekly column, write with any news of catches or anecdotes with images to ken@riverdee.org Tight Lines to you all! Copyright FishDee. Ken Reid © FishDeeLtd.

Beat catches reported
SALMON & GRILSE: Ardoe and Murtle 6, Kingcausie 10, Culter 9, Altries and Lower Drum 7, Middle Drum 3, Tilbouries 16, Upper Drum and Lower Durris 4, Park 31, Lower Crathes and W Durris 20, Crathes 13, Tilquhillie 2, Little Blackhall and Inchmarlo 1, Middle Blackhall 2, Upper Blackhall 2, Woodend 1, Lower Woodend 1, Commonty 3, Ballogie 7, Kincardine 8, Carlogie 16, Dess 9, Birse 5, Aboyne Water 4, Dinnet 2, Headinch and Cambus O'May 1, Monaltrie and Lower Invercauld 4, Crathie 1, Heughhead 7, Total 195
SEA TROUT: Culter 6, Altries and Lower Drum 1, Tilbouries 3, Park 5, Lower Crathes and W Durris 1, Crathes 1, Upper Blackhall 2, Cairnton 2, Lower Woodend 1, Ballogie 1, Dess 1, Aboyne Water 1, Heughhead 2, Total 27

Prospects

Today sees the last full week of the salmon fishing season for the lower part of the river. We needed some rainfall to lift River levels and were rewarded with a rise last Thursday into Friday. This has encouraged some fish to move slowly upriver. The weather forecasters are suggesting it should be warm today with air temperature maxima of 18 degrees Celsius; however there will be a bit of a change from midweek with winds from the Arctic bringing air temperatures down dramatically to remind us winter is just around the corner. Air temperatures will be as low as 4 degrees according to the Met Office. The maritime influence sees tides falling back from 4.5 metres to 3.7 metres through the week. River levels have dropped back after last week’s rise in river levels with the Sepa Gauges reading 4 inches at Mar Lodge and 8 inches at Park. It’s pleasing to hear that Culter have landed 4 fish this morning before 10.30 am. With water temperatures sure to drop dramatically this week there is a fair chance that some of the very big fish that have been in the river for some time, will come back on the take. We could see the biggest fish of the season landed this week with 2 salmon of 28 lbs being reported so far this season at Dess and Lower Crathes.

There is still some fishing availability on the FishDee website for the last 7 days fishing, so please take every opportunity to come and fish the river and catch a salmon before the season finishes-it’s a long close season. There has been a good run of fish that has gone over the Falls of Feugh so Heughhead will be well worth a visit. There are also a good range of accommodations available for anglers to stay in the length of Deeside so please look at the range of accommodation provision on the FishDee website. There will be a dinner at 7pm on Friday 1st November at the popular Tor Na Coille Hotel for River Dee Ghillies, family and friends, with a super 3 course menu and wine at a very reasonable rate for all who can manage along. General Manager Phillip Fleming wishes to show appreciation to the Ghillies who do a great job looking after visiting anglers. There will be some spaces available for anglers who are friends of our Ghillies, so if you want to attend this dinner please contact Shane Christie, secretary of the Dee Ghillies Association. Please write to shanechristie@btinternet.com to register your interest in attending what promises to be a very enjoyable evening for all who can manage to come along, myself included. There will also be very good rates for rooms for the evening if anyone wishes to stay overnight.

It is important to listen to the advice provided by your Ghillies. If you are fishing without a Ghillie be careful you don’t fish too deeply and foul hook fish as river levels are still low for the time of year and there is a danger of this happening where fish are concentrated; salmon can stack up at differing water heights when lying in large shoals. Floating lines with intermediate poly leaders are more than suitable, with size 6-8 flies or small aluminium tubes ideal. Fly choice will include Frances flies, Red or orange Ally’s shrimp, Black and small black monkey tubes. Please handle salmon sensibly and carefully as the spawning season is a month or so off and we need our fish to reach the Redds to produce another generation of salmon. River Dee Ghillies have the utmost respect for our salmon and will be eager to see fish returned very carefully.

Old 14th October 2013, 10:02

Last Week

The final week of the salmon fishing season has come to an exciting end with well over 400 salmon landed for the week and 22 sea trout. FishDee beats, as I write have reported 388 salmon, however there are a good number of fish still to be added to the reporting system. I met up with the Lars Terkildsen party who were fishing a number of beats last week, at Ballogie house on Saturday evening for dinner, prepared beautifully by Harriet Milligan, daughter of Mike Milligan. This dinner emphasised the global draw the River Dee is to salmon anglers these days as there were 7 different nationalities in the fishing party, with myself as the only UK representative at this end of week celebratory dinner. I mentioned last week that we may have the biggest fish of the season landed during the week and this almost happened after Lars Terkildsen battled a big fish at Birse which was lost after his colleague, who had two hands round the tail of the fish, saw it slip from his grasp and swim back into the river-Lars said it was a huge fish. Some of the catches reported so far include Park and Ballogie with 35 salmon apiece, Altries reported 32, and Birse will have over 30, Tilbouries 28 and Carlogie 27, with many other beats reporting good catches. The lift in river levels on Thursday helped boost catches considerably and it’s good to see the fishing season coming to an end on a high note for all anglers, Ghillies and proprietors.

I received an e-mail from Neil Donald with an image of a coloured cock fish where Neil comments ‘Hi Ken, Had a fantastic Friday and Saturday at Middle Blackhall with Davie Gibbon, who was a fantastic help being available to land all four of the fish caught. I had a very coloured but nice 11lb salmon on the Friday (picture attached) and one of my buddies Chris Robertson had three lovely fish on the Saturday. Chris is a very experienced trout fisher but this was only his second day fishing for salmon with a double hander rod so an excellent result. He had 5, 6 and 15lb salmon and also lost another after it swam around a rock and cut the line. Bad news was, as he was getting out of the water at the end of the day, he fell and snapped his rod, but the three fish softened the blow. After 40 years fishing he said it was his best ever day, so I think he'll be back to the Dee next season. This was all off the back of a few days fishing in the west coast where we had one salmon, a sea trout and several trout. A great finish to the season end. We are all local to Deeside. Cheers, Neil Donald.’ Well done Chris and Neil and hopefully Chris can claim on his insurance for the broken rod. Well I can report that Chris wasn’t the only angler to suffer a mishap. I was having a cast on Saturday where I took a header into the river, in the Fawn Pool. The same thing happened to me last year at Dinnet at the end of the season. As I trod from the riverbank soaking wet I could only chuckle and think how glad I was no one witnessed my mishap.

Neil Donald at Middle Blackhall

Some other feedback received included Fabio Federighi, from Firenze, Italy, fishing at Park South who commented ‘3 old salmon, and many fighting and lost, with very heavy red Frances.’ Well done Fabio. I also have feedback from John W Fraser, who was fishing at Aboyne Water advising ‘Jim the Ghillie advised to use a small stoat’s tail and lo and behold that's what the fish took; no substitute for beat knowledge. Catch details: 2 fish caught small stoat’s tail, full floating line, both in the stone pool which took nearly all our fish.’ Stuart Buchan who was fishing at Blairs informed me last night that he had 3 salmon and a nice fresh sea trout on Saturday morning. The biggest salmon weighed an estimated 18lbs. I received an e-mail from Ian MacKay commenting ‘Hi Ken, Ghillie Jim Couper asked me to send this photo of our friend and novice angler Ako Sabir-Ali from Kurdistan. He was fishing the Stone Pool on Aboyne Waters and landed this little grilse - his first ever. This was caught on Friday 13th September 2013.’ I’m delighted to hear of Ako’s first fish and pleased it was a Dee fish. I am sure many people will want to extend best wishes to Aboyne Water Ghillie Jim Couper who is retiring at the end of the fishing season. Many people have expressed their admiration over the years fishing at Aboyne Water for being well looked after by Jim. We all wish you best wishes for a happy retirement Jim and thanks for all your years of fine service.

Ako Sabir-Ali from Kurdistan with his first ever salmon at Aboyne Water.

Now some items of news for our readers. Firstly there will be an online auction to raise funds for the River Dee Trust commencing on 1st November. There will be a lovely selection of auction lots so please look into www.riverdee.org and www.fishdee.co.uk to make sure you get a chance to be the highest bidder for these auction lots. All monies raised from the auction go into helping the River Dee. There will also be ‘A celebration of the River Dee event’ held in the Savile Club, 69 Brook Street, London on Wednesday 6th November between 6.30 pm and 8.00 pm. This will be an informative drinks reception showcasing the work of the River Dee Trust for the river, its anglers and the work that will be delivered in the future. All visitors are most welcome, and anyone who is interested in coming along to this event should send an RSVP to info@riverdee.org. This will enable us to organise catering for this event. This promises to be a super night and I do hope many people will take the opportunity to come along and meet the River Dee Trust team in London. Copyright FishDee. Ken Reid © FishDee Ltd.

Beat catches reported
SALMON & GRILSE: Kingcausie 26, Culter 18, Altries and Lower Drum 32, Middle Drum 12, Tilbouries 28, Upper Drum and Lower Durris 15, Park 35, Lower Crathes and W Durris 27, Crathes 20, Tilquhillie 5, Little Blackhall and Inchmarlo 2, Middle Blackhall 7, Upper Blackhall 3, Cairnton 11, Woodend 4, Lower Woodend 1, Commonty 10, Sluie 2, Ballogie 35, Kincardine 21, Carlogie 27, Dess 9, Birse 15, Aboyne Water 19, Heughhead 4, Total 388
SEA TROUT: Kingcausie 1, Culter 4, Altries and Lower Drum 1, Tilbouries 3, Upper Drum and Lower Durris 1, Park 2, Lower Crathes and W Durris 1, Crathes 5, Middle Blackhall

Prospects

There are only two days remaining for anglers and no doubt there will be a lot of local anglers hoping to catch a fish before the fishing season draws to a close on Tuesday evening. River conditions are good following last Thursdays lift in river levels. It has been raining overnight but the Sepa gauges are all running steady this morning. There appear to be a good amount of salmon willing to take a fly given the results of the last few days and it’s heartening to see the season finish on a high note. Let’s hope we get some more water this month to enable all our salmon to reach the spawning grounds safely, where they intend to produce the next generation of River Dee salmon.

Jim Couper of Aboyne Water who retires at the end of this season

Now some items of news for our readers. Firstly there will be an online auction to raise funds for the River Dee Trust commencing on 1st November. There will be a lovely selection of auction lots so please look into www.riverdee.org and www.fishdee.co.uk to make sure you get a chance to be the highest bidder for these auction lots. All monies raised from the auction go into helping the River Dee. There will also be ‘A celebration of the River Dee event’ held in the Savile Club, 69 Brook Street, London on Wednesday 6th November between 6.30 pm and 8.00 pm. This will be an informative drinks reception showcasing the work of the River Dee Trust for the river, its anglers and the work that will be delivered in the future. All visitors are most welcome, and anyone who is interested in coming along to this event should send an RSVP to info@riverdee.org. This will enable us to organise catering for this event. This promises to be a super night and I do hope many people will take the opportunity to come along and meet the River Dee Trust team in London.

There will also be an end of season dinner at 7pm on Friday 1st November at the popular Tor Na Coille Hotel, Banchory for River Dee Ghillies, family and friends, with a super 3 course menu and wine at a very reasonable rate for all who can manage along. General Manager Phillip Fleming wishes to show appreciation to the Ghillies who do a great job looking after visiting anglers. There will be some spaces available for anglers who are friends of our Ghillies, so if you want to attend this dinner please contact Shane Christie, secretary of the Dee Ghillies Association. Please write to shanechristie@btinternet.com to register your interest in attending what promises to be a very enjoyable evening for all who can manage to come along, myself included. There will also be very good rates for rooms for the evening if anyone wishes to stay overnight.
Please remember to write with any news of catches to ken@riverdee.org Tight Lines to you all over the next two days. Copyright FishDee. Ken Reid © FishDee Ltd.

Last edited by ken@fishdee; 14th October 2013 at 10:17.
Old 4th November 2013, 13:05

River Dee Trust On-Line Auction 2013 is now live with over 30 auction lots available to bid for.
Catalogue of lots.http://www.riverdee.org.uk/auction/catalogue.asp
Old 25th November 2013, 12:41

The River Dee on-line auction comes to a close on Saturday 30th November and its important to get your bids registered before the auction closes. It would be so easy to miss Saturday’s deadline if you are out all day doing important things such as Christmas shopping, visiting friends and family, enjoying the countryside etc. There are a host of wonderful auction lots including great fishing opportunities overseas and on some of the River Dee’s top beats in 2014, and many more, which could make ideal Christmas presents for friends.

1. Fishing Lots include fishing in Iceland, Sweden, Norway and a number of top River Dee Beats.

2. Fishing Equipment including vintage and modern fly rods, fishing reels, made to measure wading jacket and a number of fly selections which come in a variety of fly boxes, including a clear CF Design fly box and a mahogany box.

3. Food & Drink lots include a commemorative single malt whisky, a case of vintage Pol Roger champagne, Dinner at the 4 star Tor Na Coille Hotel, luxury picnic for 8, Cairnton Beef and a Yelled Hind from Gen Tanar

4. Artworks include a River Dee oil painting by renowned artist Howard Butterworth and an Aberdeen River Dee scene provided by Mary Butterworth-both of these lots are really excellent.

5. Miscellaneous items include a bespoke kilt, Activity day at the famous Lochter activity centre, Video sunglasses and a beautiful Dalvey gentleman’s hip flask.

So remember to visit the site and get your bids placed as there are some great bargains to be had at http://www.riverdee.org.uk/auction/catalogue.asp