The best Steelhead River(s)? Anyone?

jonc

Hi all

Alot of us know the great Salmon rivers of the world, but what rivers are world famous for their Steelhead fishing?

Thx
Jon

icesky

I think the best place for steelhead fishing is Rogue River on the Southern Oregon Coast. The Rogue River stands alone in the Northwest when it comes to the possibility of catching a steelhead on a fly rod. This stream presents the best likelihood for beginner and veteran alike to hook a crazy sea-going rainbow even when compared to the imposing likes of fabled steelhead waters as the Deschutes and North Umpqua. Rogue River steelhead are "grabby", considering these are fish that do not need to eat during their spawning migration. It is opinion of the experts.

SalmonAtlasEditor

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks icesky for your reply, I am glad to see the rivers you mentioned were in the salmonatlas that we have developed. May I ask you are you from Oregon itself? If so, any feedback on the Oregon map in the salmonatlas would be most welcome or any other regoins you are familiar with.

Many thanks.

JonC

icesky

Hi,
actually I'm from Bozeman, MT. I'm admin of the site dedicated to fly fishing in Montana, but also I'm admirer of steelhead fishing. That's why I regularly look through fishing reports from other states.

angus

Best Steelhead Rivers

My personal favorate Steelhead river would be the Cowachin on Vancover Island B.C Canada There are many others on the west coast eg Dean is another top flight river system

SalmonAtlasEditor

Administrator
Staff member
Many thanks for that reply Angus, its not on the salmon atlas of yet, still abit of work to do on certain areas, but thakyou for your post.

angus

more info contacts

You may all ready know of this group they may be able to assist you in defineing you rivers and streams

wildsalmoncentre.org

Mr Guido Rahr
Pres & CE

Angus Elliott
Canada