A message from a recent visitor!

Editor

The Salmon Atlas
These days, if you want to get to the Falkland Islands, you have to fly via Punta Arenas and Santiago Chile. And the flights are only once a week, which is a pain if LAN Chile lose your bags.

In January 2012, a group of war vets went on a reunion to the Falklands, 30 years after the conflict with Argentina. This time, some of us took our rods and tried out the fishing.

We fished two places on East Falkland – the Muro river and the Frying Pan estuary. The Muro river is carefully controlled and can only be fished on an invitation basis.

FIreunion2012094.jpg

I had an 8 foot, 8 piece, light fly rod brought out in my suitcase from the UK. A floating line fished in small upper pools with a March Brown fly, produced some nice brownies.

A fine 7 lb sea trout (pictured) was caught on a spinner, although our best pool on the Muro river was completely ruined when we were there, by a voracious seal that hoovered up everything.

FIreunion2012.jpg

The Frying pan produces some good grey mullet (the preferred fish to eat in the Falklands). We tried a mix of small flies with limited success for the mullet. The locals use a bit of mutton and a small spinner to great effect.

While it is a long way to go to catch a few fish, I would recommend a trip to the Falkland Islands, particularly if you take time to view this beautiful unspoilt British outpost. The people are very friendly. Go now, before oil is discovered.