Doublehanders party in Lithuania

jonc

Hi

Some good fish, bet it would a very interesting and experience to fish for salmon in Lithuania.

Jonc

mindaugas

Hi Jonc,

We do have quite a good salmon/seatrout fishing over here. Though it might be a bit challenging (e.g. high and dirty water, like this fall), for those with patience it is rewarding – average salmon length caught in Neris and Sventoji was about 1 meter (app. 40 inches). So, I suppose that would be the main driving force to try luck in our country. Another and not less important reason – it’s inexpensive (5 days fishing trip, including accommodation, all transfers and guiding, would cost you under 1000 euros).

Mindaugas

Editor

The Salmon Atlas
Sverage salmon length caught in Neris and Sventoji was about 1 meter (app. 40 inches).

Blimey - that's around 20lb (9kg) ! That's bigger than Gaula in June. I had no idea the fish were of such quality. Are these hatchery fish or natural - or a mix of course?

Regards

Colin.

mindaugas

Hi everyone again!

Mitch, most of the salmon fishing is done in Neris, Sventoji (Neris' tributary) and Zeimena rivers. Flyfishing in all three rivers requires a bit higher level of casting abilities, Sventoji is most "fishermen friendly" though. Also one should remember that it could be quite tricky to lokate exact salmon resting places (rivers stretches about 400 km from the sea), so guidance is required.

Colin, every single lithuanian salmon is pure wild. And their fisical condition, despite the distance from their feeding grounds to spawning places, is at its best! I suppose Lithuanian salmon stock wont outnumber Gaulas, but if you're after quality, not quantity, then you should try your luck next fall :). And another, but not less important reason to go salmon fishing to lithuania - its cheap (five days fishing trip including guidance, accomodation and local transfers will cost you under a thousand euro's).

Best regards,

Mindaugas

Editor

The Salmon Atlas
Colin, every single lithuanian salmon is pure wild. And their fisical condition, despite the distance from their feeding grounds to spawning places, is at its best!

This is really marvellous to hear. Is there any organisation or website where I can get hold of the official catch statistics? That would be very interesting. It sounds like a place to visit!

Thanks

Colin.