Exploits River

jonc

38,000 fish through the counter last season

Hi
Just as a matter of interest would you say 38,000 was a good season for the river?
I am from England and fish the River Tyne system, we had a count of just below 23,000 for the season which is not the best, mind you sea trout numbers were well down, when I think we had just under 49,000 way back in 2004.

Anyways be nice to see some photos.

JonC

silverleapers

38K is the highest number this river has seen since the Ice Age. So I'd say it was good...;)

This river has a run as a result of stocking (with grilse)...it had a large water falls (impassable) only a few short Km from the ocean since heavens knows when and later (early 1900s) a large hydro dam at this falls (now a town called Grand Falls-Windsor). Prior to stocking above the many big dams (stocked mainly in the 1990s), 1200 fish was a huge run and these all went up the small tributaries near the river mouth. After nearly $5Million CDN we have fine run of self perpetuating fish (no more stocking) and a decent catch average (most days you can catch 1-4 fish a day from July through August). My hope is that this river will see 100k+ fish in my lifetime....we'll see. A typical year (if there are any these days) would see about 26K fish.....so 38K is a bonanza.

Last edited:

silverleapers

For the first time in memory....some fish have alreday went through the counter (two weeks early!). Not exactly arun but about 200 fish. I seen a few below the fish pass on June 2nd getting ready to go. It looks like most rivers are reporting good runs and on time this year. PHEW! Perhaps we will not have a repeat of last season's disaster (although Exploits had a record year - the other rivers were down by 25-40%!).

avalon angling

I'll try and post some photos

Anyways be nice to see some photos.

I'll try to oblige both of ye by attempting a link thinggy to a "slideshow" from a recent trip( mid July, 2011).... 30 K gone through the counter:cool: only managed 1 wee grilse:eek:...returned:)

[ame="http://s230.photobucket.com/albums/ee234/fanceyd/?action=view&current=e4f1cfae.pbw"]Exploits River slideshow by fanceyd - Photobucket[/ame]

...... Avalon/Pop