Highland Cascade

John Gray

To set the ball rolling, a wee salmon tube fly .....

highland-cascade-needle-tube-800.jpg

I have called it a Highland Cascade.

Dressing

Tube: Any type of tube - I have used here a stainless steel tube, length 15mm, outside diameter 1.5mm.

Underwing/tail: Mixed yellow and green Arctic fox with a few strands of pearl Krystal Hair tied above.

Wing: Squirrel tail, dyed black (Arctic fox may be substituted if preferred).

Hackle: Orange cock hackle wound over yellow cock hackle.

H

humber123

John

Always like your flies.

Have posted my favourite version below

Will try to post some more of my favourites over next week or two but am currently doing about 3 different fly swaps etc

One point about Cascades I would like to ask you about. I tend to always tie them with Bucktail, Squirrel or Black Bear Hair whereas I noteice you are using Fox.

Do you ever have any issues with it wrapping around the hook, and if so, what is the solution if there was an issue? I ask because I am pretty much a conventionalist in Modern Dressing - if that is not a contradiction in terms.

humber123

John Gray

John

Always like your flies.

Have posted my favourite version below

Will try to post some more of my favourites over next week or two but am currently doing about 3 different fly swaps etc

One point about Cascades I would like to ask you about. I tend to always tie them with Bucktail, Squirrel or Black Bear Hair whereas I noteice you are using Fox.

Do you ever have any issues with it wrapping around the hook, and if so, what is the solution if there was an issue? I ask because I am pretty much a conventionalist in Modern Dressing - if that is not a contradiction in terms.

humber123

Hi humber123,

I normally use bleached and dyed fox squirrel in my cascades, as in the example below.

Cascade

needle-tube-fly-salmon-1.jpg

Not having green squirrel for the Highland Cascade, I used Arctic fox. When using Arctic fox, I have rarely experienced the problem of the tail catching under the hook. If this does happen, one solution is to connect the double, or single, hook with points up. As double and single hooks tend to swim naturally with points up, this also adds to the stability of the fly. See Salmon Fly Hooks

P.S. Like your hot butt!