River Wear

cb

SalmonAtlas
A rise of water in the last few days has had great runs of sea trout and a few salmon jumping through the fish pass in Durham City. Lots have been caught too. The sea trout average 4lb with many in the 6 and 7lb class. The Wear is really a very fine sea trout river and the 2009 season looks very promising!

The numbers of fish has had anglers fishing almost side by side - combat style - in the city centre. Not pretty to watch but at least legal (the Wear in Durham city does suffer from blatent snatching).

The salmon are not doing so badly too!

wear.gif

Last edited:

ACW

A rise of water in the last few days has had great runs of sea trout and a few salmon jumping through the fish pass in Durham City. Lots have been caught too. The sea trout average 4lb with many in the 6 and 7lb class. The Wear is really a very fine sea trout river and the 2009 season looks very promising!

The numbers of fish has had anglers fishing almost side by side - combat style - in the city centre. Not pretty to watch but at least legal (the Wear in Durham city does suffer from blatent snatching).

The salmon are not doing so badly too!

wear.gif

Good to see an on going improvement ,wish the Wye graph went like that.

hutch

good post above . ive fished the wear on n off for 35 years or so and that wall in the city is the main concirn for me and the runners below . out n out snatching goes on from june till nov fact ive reported numrous incedents nothing done [bar one arrest ] . lead lines fished straight across the river unreal . ok ive foul hooked fish but not on purpuse this is heartbraking to watch anyway the more we good guys whinge surly something must give . iam a tyne man but just becouse i fish the tyne more does not mean i canot try to help on the wear if we turn a blind eye to these people they will win and i wont let this happen . for edwins sake and his mates who deserve help . we bailiff our own tyne waters and it works .

jonc

Apart the snatching carry on, was down there today, last week I believe someone was down on Durham Weir with a chainsaw and getting rid of the forest that that was growing there (yes **** load of uprooted trees blocking the fish passes), mostly all gone apart from a few cut big logs blocking the fish passes again! Could not be bothered to move them so waiting on the next big flood to move them for them probably, we should be thankful for small mercies on the River Weir.

Last edited: