Scandinavian Style Spey Casting

H

humber123

Do any members of Team SpeyCast use this style (with up to 15ft leaders)?

If so, what circumstances dictate their choice?

Also, do you use it in Scottish Rivers or abroad?

humber123

Editor

The Salmon Atlas
Question

Apologies but Eoin travelling and has no access to computer at the moment.

Will respond to this asap.

Admin

zekafly

Does that means UNDERHAND SPEY CASTING?

I am new in it,and wery curious about it also.WIll take some lessons here at Balkans,from a guy,instructor,who perfectly deal with that tehnique.

Editor

The Salmon Atlas
The "underhand" refers to the bottom hand which in the underhand cast plays the dominant role both in manoeuvring the rod tip and providing the power in the final cast. In the traditional spey cast the top hand sweeps the rod around more and often provides the majority of the casting power at the end more like a throw (though - pulling in with the underhand is important too).

I think modern spey casting is almost a marriage of the two styles and all the better for it!

Regards

Colin.

Hey Humber

I have to admit that I switch back and forth between styles according to fishing conditions. I love the Scandinavian style heads for fishing with restricted space behind me (say 10 ft or less), and for smaller rivers. I also have to say that I use the AFS scandinavian heads for practically all my demonstrations and for teaching these days. There isn't a style of line that is easier to learn speyc asting with than these, and there isn't a line style that will cast such tight, sweet loops either.

I'll go to mid length and long belly lines on bigger rivers and when I have plenty of D-loop space behind.

Cheers for now
Simon

Editor

The Salmon Atlas
I couldn't agree more Simon.

Personally, I have always struggled with the pickup on long-headed lines. I just don’t know what the technique is? I once tried a 75ft Mastery spey line ( a nice supple line) and simply could not pick the whole head off the water - well not without much effort and much rod bending - and ending with the rod tip so high that I simply had to drop it down again which gave me the classic bloody-L.

I read all the time of people using long headed lines but, I have to stay, I rarely see it on the river bank! And when I do the caster is normally in trouble from start to finish :) The only people I see who use them effectively are the ghillies who seem to use massive amounts of strength and energy (and very strong Bruce & Walker rods).

What is the secret to picking up long heads? Stand on casting platform? It certainly isn’t deep wading!

Cheers

Colin.

ACW

My son and I fight at times over who will use the Norway(B&W) 16 ft #9/10 with the carron 75 ft head intermediate line.
We dont seem to use a huge amount of energy when fishing this the big gun in the quiver,all the long head guys that I meet keep telling me to slow it all down ,possibly a roll down stream to get thew line up and then go into whichever cast the wind and conditions require.
Must stress I am in no way a great caster!The boy scares me if he was to practice he could get very good.

Editor

The Salmon Atlas
My son and I fight at times over who will use the Norway(B&W) 16 ft #9/10

I confess that I like the longer rods too. I have the 17ft version - actually had --a friend borrowed one and he refuses to give it back! It is not fast actioned but will pick up line with ease. It was also marvellous when wading giving the extra height.

This rod could simply not be compared (strength-wise) to a 15ft 1in Sage that I use yet both have the same #10 rating - crazy. Labelling on both rods and lines is so non-standard that it is little wonder there are so many un-balanced outfits in use.

ACW

I know what you mean re ratings on rods,fortunately B&W can be easily called up for advice on lining,not so easy for us UK folks with most other rods.

There is no doubt that deep wading and short rods both create problems in throwing long belly lines for most casters. There is no real secret to getting the technique for casting long belly lines when wading deep.. plenty of speed and great timing is required, and that's just practice! Mind you, it depends on how long "long" is... a 75 ft belly is not that long and shouldn't be too tough to cast when wading waist deep, but a 95 footer would be a different proposition!!

Cheers
Simon