Silver Sheep

einar gud

One of my favourite salmon fly, a go to fly in a sunny situation.

picture.php

Hook: Partridge Salar CS14/2 S #9-13
Thread: White Benecchi thread 12/0
Rib: Silver wire
Body: Silver tinsel
Beard: Blue hen
Wing: Black and yellow bucktail
Cheeks: Jungle Cock
Head: Red Mavala Nailpolish ( 2 Madrid) ;)

Enjoy !

Tight lines from Iceland
Einar Gud
www.hooked.is

Last edited:

einar gud

Thanks mate,

I'll bet it does look nice in the Norwegian rivers. My friend was there last season and their boxes was stocked with temple dog tubes.

I did a few more in the morning session on a size #20 partridge.

picture.php

The smaller the better :)

Tight lines from Iceland
Einar Gud
www.hooked.is

fredaevans

Well done Sir, well done.

Beautiful ties ... and on my favorite hook no less. Just wish the darned things didn't cost between $1.50 to $1.85 USD each. Not to mention being almost impossible to find here in the US.

Have to order mine out of the UK.

Fred

henry_giles

Nice flies - perfect for that fish lying in a streamy lie in the head of a pool in (as said) sunny conditions.
I have caught fish on the Big Daddy version of this - tied on a 1 1/4 in brass tube. Although I try and tie my own, I bought it from Salar Flies at the now defunct T&S Tweed Fair a couple of years ago.
Fished it in a cold, powerful flow on the Varzuga a fortnight later and it didn't disappoint..

supersalar

This is my favourite - you all know this:)

Tie the fly on a 1 – 1 ½ inch plastic tube. Tie in a small bunch of squirrel, bucktail or polar bear wich is slightly longer than the tube. Top that with the colobus mokey hair which should be about 4- 5 inches long. For the finish, tie in a couple of peacock herl on the wing and you are all set. You can add a conehead if you like to fish a heavier fly, or use a brass or bottle tube. Many will prefer to fish the light version in the top of the water, wich will give the fly more speed. As with any other salmon flies you will like to have a selection of the Sunray Shadow in various sizes from around 3” to 6” inches with long Colobus monkey hair wings.

:)