The Double Haul in Salmon Fishing

John Gray

The allocation of a whole subsection of this Spey casting/salmon fishing forum to the double haul surprises me. I am intrigued by its inclusion and would be grateful if one of the more expert casters among us could enlighten me on the place of the double haul in salmon fishing. As I understand it, a double haul (i.e. inceasing line speed by pulling on the line with the non casting hand in both the back and forward cast) is applicable only to the use of a single handed rod and is often associated with the lengthening of line by false casting when seeking to achieve distance. While I habitually apply a haul on both the back and forward cast of all casts when fishing a single hander, be it for trout, sea trout or salmon, I very rarely employ a false cast while river fishing. I would be most interested in learning how I might make use of the double haul in my salmon fishing, particularly in my rather limited Spey casting repertoire.

Editor

The Salmon Atlas
Double Haul

This may well be over exuberance on behalf of Admin when setting up the categories.

Doubtless categories will evolve as the forum develops.

We will discuss with the experts and reconsider.

Admin

PS Many thanks for your welcome support of these forums!

cb

SalmonAtlas
I think you should change the "Double Haul" title to the "The Haul" title as hauling is very effective in single handled spey casting. I normally restrict the haul to the forward cast but I dare say a haul could add energy into the loop creation too - but I havent attenmpted to master that :)

Colin.

John Gray

I think you should change the "Double Haul" title to the "The Haul" title as hauling is very effective in single handled spey casting. I normally restrict the haul to the forward cast but I dare say a haul could add energy into the loop creation too - but I havent attenmpted to master that :)

Colin.

Colin,

While a single haul is employed as you describe, to devote a whole forum section to this narrow subject would, I think, be a waste of space, as it would be of insufficient interest to attract much attention. Perhaps a broader, more useful title might be "Single Handed Casting", which would cover all of the above and more. Single handed casting could also, of course, be discussed under "General Casting Discussions", omitting this second section altogether.

Might I also suggest that the title "Speycasting Basics" be changed to "Speycasting", to encourage discussion of more advanced techniques as well as the basics. To limit our discussions to the basics would surely miss the chance of drawing on the wealth of expertise available on this forum.

H

humber123

The Haul with a Double Hander

Here is where my ignorance of casting is about to be demonstrated

I have a 13ft rod rated #8/9. Compared to the 10ft Cane fly rod I started my fly fishing with, it is very light to my hand.

I find I can quite easily cast on overhead cast at short range with one hand.

Sometimes, I have experimented by doing a Haul or two. This involves doing the Backcast as normal, but during the slight pause while the line straightens out behind me, I give it a haul with my left hand to accelarate the line a little then quickly put my left hand back on the rod to be ready for the Forward Cast.

I do not repeat it on the forward stroke as I found this led to problems and sloppy results.

Can anyone with expertise please tell me if what I do is accepted practice in a Double Handed Overhead Cast and, more importantly, if the possible benefits of a haul as described above outweigh the potential disadvantages.

From my perspective, I feel it can help me to make a good clean and high Backcast so that I am in good position to cast a nice tight forward cast and gently landing line and leader.

All advice appreciated

humber123

tonyl

Colin.

Interesting CB:cool:
When fishing the single handed rod I nearly always employ the haul just before the top of the upstroke.That is,the very instant before the line actually straightens prior to the forward stroke!
I find that this tends to load the rod at its optimum point which is,after all the whole point of the exercise?Discuss:)

On the issue of double hauling on a two handed rod......c'mon Colin,show us how its done:D I reckon its possible if you possess 3 arms!!:eek:

Regards
Tone