Varzuga River

Editor

The Salmon Atlas
Varzuga River - Big fish territory with Salmon Junkies

[ame=http://vimeo.com/28834350]Grand Varzuga - Big Fish Territory! on Vimeo[/ame]

Steffen Juhl and Kåre Lundquist had a quick test trip to Grand Varzuga in June 2011. The river was very low and things did not look too good. 8 hours later, 15 fish landed, many lost, what a day. Many fish between 8-12 pound, thereby the new name Grand Varzuga. Why, well all the BIG fish of the entire Varzuga watershed ends up here for spawning, very unique place! Ready for a lift off to Grand Varzuga? watch this!

http://salmonjunkies.com

kolafish

Varzuga River 2014

I fish in the Varzuga three seasons already. In the begining of the season May 15 and at time close to the end September-October. I prefer to fish near the Varzuga settlement on the Mel'nichniy licence area. This 2014 season was strange. The river opened up after ice one week late (16 May). But the high water fishing was great, despite the best anglers used Intermed Skagit +T-20, 15ft + big coppers tubes.

kolafish-albums-varzuga-river-may-2014-picture47-varzuga-may-2014.jpg

It was my 1st time when I used 2 inches copper tube fly! I had thougth about BC Intruders also :cool:

kolafish-albums-varzuga-river-may-2014-picture48-img-1342.jpg

My mate has landed his fist salmon also.

kolafish-albums-varzuga-river-may-2014-picture49-img-1305.jpg

This period is extremely popular amoung Russian

kolafish-albums-varzuga-river-may-2014-picture50-bde6-p2vb2c.jpg

One of my Russian neighbours on the river

kolafish-albums-varzuga-river-may-2014-picture51-c-wrecbxaze.jpg

The fall time of 2014 Varzuga was terrible. The river was almost empty!!! We wait big run from 1 October till 14 October. Every day were 50-100 fish fresh fish registrated by the science net's controllers. That's nothing for such a big river. In good years we saw 500-2000 registrated fish per day!!!

This is photo from October 2013. My friend Denis from St. Petersburg

kolafish-albums-varzuga-river-may-2014-picture52-my-friend-denis-st-petersburg-his-october-salmon-2013-season.jpg