Week Commencing 14th August 2023

S

Sandy Howie

Hello again

Another week under our belts as we slip into the twilight of the season.

The local schools went back this week, much I am sure to the disdain of the pupils but I am sure a few parents will be breathing a sign of relief.

The countryside continues to be hive of activity as crops are harvested, bales are made, tatties are getting prepared for harvest or indeed early one have been lifted. The beetroot planted where I work are looking good too.

In the hedgerows, the hips are forming well and this years bramble crop is looking good and those that I and indeed my spaniel have sampled have been fine and sweet.

A couple of things for the Spey Board this week, firstly the auction is due to take place in November so if you are able to help with a country related prize then please email the board at admin@speyfisheryboard.com.

Also the Board are holing their next quarterly open meeting on September 1st at 9.30am at the Fochabers Institute. If you would like to attend, it would be helpful to advise the Board by emailing admin@speyfisheryboard.com or calling 01343 810841.

Last week gave us mixed weather again with a small rise early in the week so lets see how the beats fared.

Heading up the river this week our first stop is the Fochabers Angling Association water where Andy Milne reports that it was hard work this week with Monday, Thursday and Friday blank. About 10 caught as far as I’ve heard, 2 of them slightly coloured salmon.

At Gordon Castle/Brae Water, Lewis Webb advises a quieter week this week having to work hard for the fish. Battling against the Easterly wind was a challenge in itself!!
A real September feel with the leaves starting to change on the trees and the fish jumping throughout the pools and becoming less inclined to take our offerings.

a-fine-grilse.jpg

a fine grilse
A-first-fish-on-Castle-Water.jpg

A first fish on Castle Water
Arabella-with-her-reward-netted-by-son-Harry-768x1024.jpg

Arabella with her reward, netted by son Harry
Fish-on-in-the-boat-1-768x1024.jpg

Fish on in the boat
Happy-angler.jpg

Happy angler
silver-prize-473x1024.jpg

silver prize

Upstream at Orton, Andy Gunn reports that they only landed 4 for the week. The small lift of water on Tuesday helped as we managed to hook 6 but dropped them all. The low warm water isn’t helping but there’s certainly plenty of fish on the beat.

Mark Melville at Delfur advises that they finished with a similar score to last week, mostly grilse again with an odd older fish taking. The fishing just now is very dour and sporadic. We need a good big spate to stir them up!

A-croc-in-beautiful-spawning-colours-768x1024.jpg

A croc in beautiful spawning colours

At Rothes and Aikenway, Robbie Stronach reports 6 for the week. They saw fish most of the week but went quiet the last few days.

David-Morgan-with-his-fish-in-Geantree.jpg

David Morgan with his fish in Geantree
Mark-Lambert-Town-Road-768x1024.jpg

Mark Lambert, Town Road

At Arndilly this week Euan Reid advises that they had a split week with John Kottler first half and Drew Philip 2nd.
We had 1 on Monday and 1 Tuesday, Ed Davies from in front of the hut and Steven Lodge from Jocks Tail right bank. We had 3 on Wednesday, Steven Lodge, Matty Roberts and David Arnfield from Cobble Pot, Long pool and Back of the Bog.
Only two caught in the second half of the week, both by Ralph Green from Gilmour and the Arns, much to the delight of the rest of the party!
We need a flood!!

Continuing the journey up the river, Orn Sigurhansson at Easter Elchies reports a week of windy, cooler conditions with water levels at -7 on the gauge. Good stock of resident fish throughout the beat. Early mornings proving successful. Total of 12 salmon and grilse for the week. A good return in the conditions.

Eleanor-McCair-with-an-Upper-Dips-Seatrout-719x1024.jpg

Eleanor McCaig with an Upper Dips Seatrout
Emily-McCaig-with-one-of-her-3-fish-for-the-week.jpg

Emily McCaig with one of her 3 fish for the week
Red-Craigs-silver-768x1024.jpg

Red Craigs silver

I have not heard anything about Aberlour Angling club water so cannot say if they had any success in the week gone by.

Across the river at Wester Elchies, they too had a quieter week with just three fish in the book confirms Malcolm Newbould.

Max Mckinstrie at Laggan confirms they landed 5 for the week. Largest was a Salmon of 10lbs to Mr David Gilchrist from the Horseshoe Pool on Saturday. The rest were Grilse, some of them fresh.

a-fresh-grilse-for-John-Coaton-in-the-Gas-Pool-768x1024.jpg

a fresh grilse for John Coaton in the Gas Pool

Next upstream is Knockando Home Beat where Archie Baillie reports that 5 salmon and 4 grilse went in the book for the week.

Ready-to-go-1024x768.jpg

Ready to go
A-fine-fish-768x1024.jpg

A fine fish

Seems that we might be seeing the start of the end of season slowdown which has been evident over the last few seasons. I hope not and fish continue to be caught in the run up to the season end.

Next week looks a bit wet but not sure how much rain the catchment will get and indeed if it will raise the river so we will have to wait and see.

Tight lines to those who are out and about.

Sandy

Continue reading...