when to strip line??

cj salmon

I have only begun to fish for salmon after a couple of castin lessons (and more booked :) ).
But i would like to learn more about actual technique.Not having money to spend on guided days,and many of my pals being mainly trout men any info is greatly apreciated.
do i always swing my flies at a depth ,or what do i do in a very slow moving pool say?? do i strip line,,what are the different techniques used.swinging flies seems to be the general idea from the few salmon men ive talked to on our rivers.
lookin forward to your replies guys...
Cheers
CJ :D

ACW

I have only begun to fish for salmon after a couple of castin lessons (and more booked :) ).
But i would like to learn more about actual technique.Not having money to spend on guided days,and many of my pals being mainly trout men any info is greatly apreciated.
do i always swing my flies at a depth ,or what do i do in a very slow moving pool say?? do i strip line,,what are the different techniques used.swinging flies seems to be the general idea from the few salmon men ive talked to on our rivers.
lookin forward to your replies guys...
Cheers
CJ :D

Cj , big question there ,generally on the mailand rivers most of us look for water with some flow to help move the fly, some times the flow is to fast to swing our fly at the speed we want so we put what are called upstream mends into the line these flicks of line slows the swing down as we move ito slower water we just let the flys come round slower water still we put a down stream mend into the line ,and then slower still we pull the line back .
Think about the way a real beast be it fish or nymph would move in the water and try to match that speed !
however sometimes fish do like a fly travelling at high speed !then again sometimes they will take something moving dead slow .
I would suggest a book like falkuses salmon would be a great help to get the idea for different times and places .
Where do you plan on fishing ,perhaps some locals could help .

cj salmon

anywhere i could find that book? .
I will be fishing rivers mainly on the east /south east in ireland ,the river nore ,suir(maybe the drowes and moy if i can) :). a few local lads have been great with helping out with flies and things and some little tips,but im still trying to get my head around what speed and what depth to present my flies to the salmon in the different conditions.

ACW

anywhere i could find that book? .
I will be fishing rivers mainly on the east /south east in ireland ,the river nore ,suir(maybe the drowes and moy if i can) :). a few local lads have been great with helping out with flies and things and some little tips,but im still trying to get my head around what speed and what depth to present my flies to the salmon in the different conditions.
[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Salmon-Fishing-Hugh-Falkus/sim/184188183X/2[/ame]
Would be a start,sure there are copies available in librarys as well ,its a big book ,well worth reading parts at the end of each season and comparing your ideas with his .I always seem to find something I had not clicked with before on re reading.
just done that link if it does not work google

falkus salmon .
should get you there!

Irish Salar

The Suir is at its best from mid summer to the end of the season, most of the lads that know the river well swear by (in normal Summer level conditions ....if such a thing exists any more..) casting almost square across and letting the flies swing round without mending; I would also think that a sink tip is the most popular and as the season gets later &/or the water gets higher they go a little deeper using a faster sinking tip or full intermediate with a faster poly leader. The Suir has a good strong flow even in Summer and if it gets a bit of water there is a greater need to get down a little deeper, that said I've had fish engulf the fly as soon as it hits the water. I normally start square with a size 9 or 11 fly and if this doesnt get a response I might try a smaller fly fished at less of an angle & therefore a bit slower, what works one day mightnt the next even in the same conditions so don't be afraid to try different tactics. When you start out you think that if you are blanking that it must be that you are doing something wrong but thats not necessarily the case. The Falkus book will help with a lot of queries as would anything by Alex. Baird Keachie. Hope this is of some assistance.

cj salmon

thanks irish salar,very helpful indeed.put my mind at ease on one or wo things.the falkus book is on the crimbo list off the missus ;).