From NRK Trondelg
Dårligste laksefiske på ti år - NRK
This year's salmon fishing in Norway is the worst in over a decade. It shows the salmon stock exchanges after the season ended this weekend. Fish government is afraid salmon are not getting enough food in the sea .
Gaula , Orkla , Namsen and Stjørdal River report all the low catch numbers this year.
On average is taken over 10 tonnes in each of these four rivers , while last year it was fished over 37 tonnes of salmon in Gaula just alone.
- Grilse is very small this year , and we are afraid that it is the availability of food in the ocean to do, says Tom Riise-Hansen in Namsen owners association .
- It goes in cycles
- This year it was taken 13 tons of salmon , compared with 40 tonnes last year , says Torstein Rognes in Gaula fish management .
CEO Torstein Rognes in Gaula fish management is not surprised that the catch is more than halved compared to last year .
- It is as expected . The reason is a combination of several weak year classes and late runs , he said.
Rognes says season is characterized by medium sized salmon.
- It appears that the average weight is slightly lower than last year . And 2,407 salmon is thus a half from last year .
Rognes says you must be prepared for several quiet seasons , but would not characterize this as a crisis.
- We have experienced before . It goes in cycles , he said.
- Exceptionally small grilse
In Namsen was in the year 6515 salmon fishing with a total weight of around 16,000 pounds.
- The traditional way to measure season is in kilos . Thus, the profit is not the world , we should have four to five tons , says Tom Riise - Hansen in Namsen owners association .
This year's average weight in Namsen is less than 2.5 kg , compared with 4 kg last year . However, it catches a greater number of fish than last year , mainly grilse .
- But this year grilse are unusually small. It is of concern , although it can come back as the salmon next year .
Riise - Hansen said they are unsure why salmon is so small, but think it is because the fish do not get enough food in the sea .
Last year it was taken 7-800 salmon over 7 kilos. This year is the number of 7 kilo+ salmon of about 500
- But this goes in waves , and we need not be concerned for the reason , says Riise-Hansen , who is optimistic for next season.
Gaula has reduced quotas for salmon , as well as to preserve all female fish from 1 July.
When it comes to salmon tourism, do not Torstein Rognes year's poor season will have a major impact on demand in the long term.
- The situation is common to the whole region , and I do not think it will have a major impact on demand.