Machrie Water (Isle of Arran)

troutmaster2001

Machrie Water Isle of Arran

Help Please...Last year (2010) I fished the sea from the beach at the mouth of Machrie water. I caught a couple of nice sea trout which I returned. There were no signs indicating that it was private water and therefore as I was fishing from the beach and out to sea I thought I was fishing legally. I man (posh talking who did not introduce himself) came along and told me I was not allowed to fish the beach as it was private and it was private for 500 metres either side of the mouth of the river. I left the area and drove up the road over the bridge and I noticed "No Fishing" signs on the actual river side of the bridge but nothing on the sea side of the bridge. Now the question is. As I was fishing from the beach and out to seas albeit in the mouth of the river was I trespassing? Thanks in anticipation.

deepdiver1

Machrie Water, Isle of Arran

Hi Troutmaster,
I live on Arran and hope this is helpful. In Scotland all rivers and private fisheries belong to the inherent landowner. There is no national fishing licence
as in England. Fishing in an around estuaries is however a minefield. In general
you may not purposely fish for migratory species, Salmon, Sea Trout within 1 mile of where the river meets the low watermark of the tide. Certain landowners however can impose their own limits within the 1 mile mark, so you were in fact lucky that on Machrie Water the estuary limit was only
500 yards. As for the posh man that approached you he was probably an
incomer employed by the estate !! We islanders would have taken the time to explain local laws and practices.
On Arran apart from Machrie Water and Iorsa Water all other burns and a couple of stocked lochs are managed by the Arran Angling Society, which you can join for the princely sum of £30 per year with no additional fees. Machrie and Iorsa are part of big estate managements and will cost you a minimum of £55 a day and frankly are not worth the money to fish. The Machrie has never been that good and I've fished it on and off for 40 years and never seen the promised salmon! I have caught more salmon & sea trout in Sannox Burn, Rosa Burn and the Blackwaterfoot. These burns are also abundant in small wild brownies.
Rule of thumb is if you want to fish near an estuary, check who owns the river rights and find out the limits. In Scotland we don't rip people off for wanting to fish and if you come across a promising bit of water the chances are the farmer who owns it will give you permission to fish for free and even if you do need to buy a permit the majority of locally owned fishing rights are far cheaper than anything you are going to find in other parts of Great Britain. Just introduce yourself and ask politely. You'll be pleasantly surprised.
If you want to come back to fish, just let me know and I'll be happy to provide a complete fishing tour - free ! Arran is a wonderful place.

troutmaster2001

Machrie Water

Colin, Many thanks for the reply, I did email you direct (Ithink) but I will be back in June for another holiday and I will do as you suggest. Many thanks. Regards Brian PS Is it ok for me to email you when I arrive for any further info if I need it?

jellybee

Re: Machrie Water, Isle of Arran

Hi DeepDiver1,

I read your reply on the Forum regarding Fishing on Arran.
Can I ask for your advice on Fishing in Arran for Salmon and Trout? I have booked a cottage on Arran for 1 week starting on the 13/8/2011 and was wondering can you please provide me with places to fish for Salmon/Trout. You mentioned Blackwater Foot, Sannox burn and Rosa burn are these waters managed by a Fishing club or Local authorities if so can you provide contact phone numbers.

Thanks Jamie

PS that’s a pint I owe you

deepdiver1

Hi, when you arrive I would recommend that you join the Arran Angling Association as an Associate member. This will cost the princely sum of £35 and covers the following rivers, North Sannox, South Sannox, Kilmory, Sliddery, Monamore, Benlister, Cloy, Ashdale, Chalmadale as well as Loch Garbard which is stocked with rainbows as well as as indigenous brownies. You can join at, Bay News, Whiting Bay, Sliddery Supplies, Sliddery, Lamlash Post Office or Seal Shore Campsite, Kildonan. A boat is also available on Loch Garbard at £5 per day also from Seal Shore Campsite. Day permits are also available for all these waters but at £20 per day it makes financial sense to become a member. The fishing in all the rivers varies in quality but all need a decent amount of water and fish best after a spate. However even when the waters are low a little exploration will lead you to deep pools where the fish lay up.

Other private waters available by day permit are Machrie Water (£55 per day - 1/2 day £35) available from the Bailiffs cottage which is just over the Machrie bridge on the right heading north. Can't miss it, there's no other property nearby.

Iorsa Water (river + loch) is largely inaccessible for visitors, catering mainly for prebooked parties of four rods or more and outrageously expensive. However folks are pretty accommodating here and it's worth knocking on the door of Dougarie Lodge and enquiring for a day ticket. If business is slow you never know your luck!

I'd be delighted to have a pint with you when you visit!

Editorial. Correction below .....
The Black Water River and 'Loch Cnoc an Loch' in the hills behind Blackwaterfoot are both leased by the Blackwaterfoot Angling Association and offer private fishing to their members only.

Editor

The Salmon Atlas
Hi, when you arrive I would recommend that you join the Arran Angling Association as an Associate member. This will cost the princely sum of £35 and covers the following rivers, North Sannox, South Sannox, Kilmory, Sliddery, Monamore, Benlister, Cloy, Ashdale, Chalmadale as well as Loch Garbard which is stocked with rainbows as well as as indigenous brownies. You can join at, Bay News, Whiting Bay, Sliddery Supplies, Sliddery, Lamlash Post Office or Seal Shore Campsite, Kildonan. A boat is also available on Loch Garbard at £5 per day also from Seal Shore Campsite. Day permits are also available for all these waters but at £20 per day it makes financial sense to become a member. The fishing in all the rivers varies in quality but all need a decent amount of water and fish best after a spate. However even when the waters are low a little exploration will lead you to deep pools where the fish lay up.
Other private waters available by day permit are Machrie Water (£55 per day - 1/2 day £35) available from the Bailiffs cottage which is just over the Machrie bridge on the right heading north. Can't miss it, there's no other property nearby.
Iorsa Water (river + loch) is largely inaccessible for visitors, catering mainly for prebooked parties of four rods or more and outrageously expensive. However folks are pretty accommodating here and it's worth knocking on the door of Dougarie Lodge and enquiring for a day ticket. If business is slow you never know your luck!

I'd be delighted to have a pint with you when you visit!

This is tremendous information - thank you very much! It is years since I've been to Arran but loved it. It has the most amazing geology too – it is almost a miniature United Kingdom (geology-wise) and is a Mecca for geology students and enthusiasts worldwide. Do you still get invaded by the Student parties? I hope they have calmed down over the years. :eek:

From what you say, it sounds an ideal place for the exploration angler too. One keen to wander and cast in those likely nooks and crannies. Marvellous.

Thanks for whetting my appetite again.

deepdiver1

Hi Editor, delighted to impart local knowledge. Arran has always been under-promoted as a fishing venue but now I've retired I'm actually producing some advertising materials for the Arran Tourist Board and Visit Scotland organisations. Having known the island for over 50 years there are hill lochs even I didn't know existed which contain fish. They don't appear on Ordnance Survey maps and I only found them by accident on Google satellite maps. Technology is a wonderful thing!
Yes we do still get an influx of geology and marine biology students at certain times but they are never a problem and certainly don't interfere with one's angling pleasure.
One thing I ought to mention which slipped my mind previously, the Port Na Lochan fishery & B&B at Blackwaterfoot is no longer in operation due to ill health of the owner which is a shame because with instruction and tackle hire it was a great taster for anyone interested in taking up the sport.
I do hope you will eventually find your way back to this lovely place.

Editor

The Salmon Atlas
Hi Editor, delighted to impart local knowledge. Arran has always been under-promoted as a fishing venue but now I've retired I'm actually producing some advertising materials for the Arran Tourist Board and Visit Scotland organisations. Having known the island for over 50 years there are hill lochs even I didn't know existed which contain fish. They don't appear on Ordnance Survey maps and I only found them by accident on Google satellite maps. Technology is a wonderful thing!

Sounds like a very interesting project - please do feel free to post any information here. We also have the "Where to Fish" project going on and entries for that most welcome.

All the best

Colin

jellybee

Hi deepdiver1,

Thanks for taking the time to reply and sharing your knowledge.
If you provide your mobile number I will call you when arriving and buy you a pint.

Cheers Jamie

henry1992

Re: Machrie Water, Isle of Arran

Hi deepdiver1,

I am coming up to Arran in early August with my family for a fortnight, and am hoping to get in as much fishing as possible! I notice that this forum is now about a year old, so was wondering if you knew whether the Arran Angling Association still give associate membership? Also, do you know who controls the fishing on loch Tanna and if it is worth fishing?

Cheers,
Henry

kendonagasaki

I'm going to Arran next Thursday for a long weekend and I'm keen on fly fishing there. I know I can fish Loch Garbad but I'm also interested in other hill lochs which may be rarely fished.

I'm originally from South Uist so keen on the wild experience!

I'm told I can become a member of the Arran Angling Association for £35, which covers Loch Garbad and some smaller rivers.

I see Loch Cnoc na Loch is private fishing only.

What about Loch Tanna, Urie Loch, Loch na Leirg and any other hill lochs that might have fish in them?

Also, are there any sea-fishing opportunities for lythe, cod etc off rocks? I have a spinning rod for that if it's worth a go.