Nick Hart - Exe Fishing Reports

farson_digital

At last a little rain

I know we all like the sun and especially after the long cold winter. But it does nothing for our Salmon fishing here on the Exe and so far this season there has been little to report. And although we have some rain now it does not look like enough to produce anything like a spate in time for the bank holiday. So what to do? Well I would suggest that the Trout fishing will start to kick off now so grab yourself a permit and give it a go. A big Black Klinkhammer is hard to beat for the fish on top and down below I like a Copper John or similar. Either way, have some fun fishing this bank holiday.

13/04/2010 19:38 by Nick at The Hart Flyshop (Administrator)

Is Spring Finally Here?

Did it not seem like a long, looooong close season!? At last something resembling a blue sky has emerged once more. So far nothing has been reported off the Carnarvon beats although a few rods have popped into the shop to stock up on supplies and well done to them for giving it a shot. Meanwhile Andrew Maund has not been slow in starting his 2010 tally taking 2 fresh fish off the Bolham beat. One a magnificent 11lb specimen from the Weir and another of 7lb taken from Bastoigne. No details regarding the method of capture, flies, lines etc., details which I hope will start to appear within the blog throughout the season. We all want a springer of course, but don't forget the Trout, the hatches are starting to happen and it won't be long before old spotty cottons on.

12/10/2009 08:55 by Nick at The Hart Flyshop (Administrator)

If your flies in the water ...

This just in .... " Paul, managed to coax a 6lb coloured hen fish out of Blackpool early on Saturday morning. Using the oldest trick in the book – putting his fly in the water..."

13/10/2009 18:02 by Margaret Bratby

Lovely 8lb 2oz hen salmon caught at 12.30pm on Stuckeridge beat. Only slightly coloured. Get the flies in the water tomorrow, there are fish in the river.

10/10/2009 09:15 by Nick at The Hart Flyshop (Administrator)

Its almost over ... but there are fish about.

Is it the lack of anglers on the river or is it just the lack of water? The point is there haven't been many reports of fish just recently although on Friday morning (09/10/09) Tim Julier enticed another fish, this time from Old Womans run. And it was not stale, described as "fairly fresh", a cracking hen of 10lb. At this time of year the fish can be aggressive and this specimen was no exception, chasing an Allies Shrimp 3 times in the low clear water before finally falling to a Black Francis. In this low clear water try working the fly and think out of the box a bit, it may add a fish to your tally. I will get my chance on Monday, fishing Blackpool for the last time this year. If you get chance and have an extension licence, wet a line this weekend .... you never know!!!

05/10/2009 09:02 by Nick at The Hart Flyshop (Administrator)

Is the rain coming?

Cross your rods, the news said it maybe wet tomorrow! Lets hope so because the season extension dries up in just over a week. Let us know if you see any Salmon or even better catch any. So positive thinking now ... RAIN, RAIN, RAIN, RAIN ... come on we can do it. I wonder if Derren Brown is a fly fisher, he would be a handy person to have in the club.

26/09/2009 08:43 by Nick at The Hart Flyshop (Administrator)
Fish are being caught

The release of water from Wimbleball helped Tim Julier score on Old Womans Pool yesterday evening (26/09/09). Tim had very little hope but was very pleased to land a 4lb Grilse on a tiny Stoats Tail in Stravers Pot and then an 8lb in the same pool, an hour later on a Stoats Tail Conehead. The Grilse was surprisingly fresh, but the Salmon was described as pretty red, both went back. Tim reports another three showing in Old Womans Pool, but as he was packing up! So it seems that it may well be worth having a dabble this weekend.

25/09/2009 09:26 by Nick at The Hart Flyshop (Administrator)
Wimbleball Releasing Water
Many thanks to Andrew Maund who I spoke to briefly last night. He has informed me that Wimbleball have been releasing water and this has had an effect on the river. Check the water gauge for last 24 hours and you will note a definite rise through the day. This will spur fish to run. Let us know if you have any luck.
No Comments
+ Post Comments

18/09/2009 18:08 by Nick at The Hart Flyshop (Administrator)
Some Goood News!

At last a salmon! After losing 3 in the last week Shaun has banked a nice silver 4lb 12oz Grilse that made it to the net yesterday at Bolham weir on the upper beat. Hooking the other 3 is a top effort proving there are fish around to be caught, but only if your fly is in the water! Have a good weekend.

16/09/2009 14:33 by Nick at The Hart Flyshop (Administrator)

Making the best of it
The river really is down now, check out the exposed pebbles on the webcam. The sun and cool breeze don't help matters of course and based on the reports from the other blogs there seems to be a general lack of migratory fish. But there is still sport to be had and for something a little bigger than the average wild Browns ... why not go for Grayling? These once persecuted fish are now abundant in the Exe and provide superb sport to both dry and nymph. Here are some we caught earlier Twitpic / Hartflyfishing But, if these are not your thing I would suggest a rain dance! We could have done with the deluge experienced in London yesterday.
No Comments
+ Post Comments

14/09/2009 09:15 by Nick at The Hart Flyshop (Administrator)

Weekend Catch

Despite the lowering water it was pleasing to hear of Josh Thornes Grilse which he coaxed out of Olds Womans pool on Saturday. The hen fish was described as "fresh as a daisy" and safely released. Just a couple of weeks of the Trout season left to enjoy although the Grayling will provide some further sport through the winter months such as this fine specimen caught using an X Factor Nymph, also on Saturday, see

Nick Hart Fly Fishing: More Big Grayling

filler
Return To The Webcam
The Middle Exe Blog
Last Updated 29/04/2010 17:10
Register
Welcome to The Middle Exe Blog. If this is your first visit, please Click Here to register. Registration is free and will allow you to post on all Farson Digital's cameras blogs.

Login
Username: Password: Remember me

11/09/2009 09:04 by Nick at The Hart Flyshop (Administrator)
Hatch

Arrived at the fishery to a massive hatch of Midges. On the river these tiny insects can really turn the fish on, especially in shaded areas. There has been a lack of up-wings this season so I reckon the fish may well gorge themselves prior to the impending winter, although will it be more like Summer through until Christmas now? Not so great for the Salmon anglers out there, no fish to report for a couple of days from the Exe Carnarvon beats. Anybody else had any success we don't know about, small flies, long leaders .... a shiny Grilse. Luuurvely! Nice to see some debate starting to happen on the Blog, click below for more.
View Comments (1)
+ Post Comments
11/09/2009 09:36 by Andrew M
On that note I did see a fresh grilse jump in the wall pool while walking my dogs earlier. I dare say an early morning or a late evening might still produce. It might be summer at last but there is still reasonable water in the Exe. It is also a long close season, rapidly approaching!

10/09/2009 08:48 by Nick at The Hart Flyshop (Administrator)
Grab the Trout Rod!
Summers here! Perhaps September will be the BBQ month the weather people have been promising all year? A bit of me hopes not and I am sure that most Salmon anglers would be with me on that!

However, there are some cracking Grayling (see here Nick Hart Fly Fishing: August 2009 and scroll to the bottom of the page) Also, the Trout are in fine condition and very free rising. I have noticed a lack of fly generally this year, but then the weather has not really played ball. More recently there has been an abundance of naturals and the fish are switching on to them. By now plenty of fish have seen big Klinkhammers and such like so go with something small (#18) and fish on 2lb tippet. A long leader also aids presentation.

Exe has dropped fast and is gin clear.
No Comments
+ Post Comments

09/09/2009 15:18 by Nick at The Hart Flyshop (Administrator)
Some interesting information
I really should get on with some work but having replied to Willie Gunn I was intrigued and so looked through the Middle Exe catch records for the Carnarvon Club here Exe Carnarvon FC Catch Record 2008 Lots of you will know that the last 2 years were the best in a decade. No surprise there, look at the water levels. 2005 & 06 were dismal years and now a few years on we appear to have less fish, despite reasonable water. But then check out 2004, a good year was had. Does this correlate to 2001 when there was no fishing of of any kind and 2000 when a reasonable catch was recorded, i.e. plenty of fish ran the river? Whatever the reasons the one really great bit of news is that the river is stuffed full of plump Salmon Parr which must bode well for the future.
View Comments (10)
+ Post Comments
11/09/2009 08:57 by Nick at The Hart Flyshop
Wow ... a debate! Well said Andrew! Lets not be like those terrible fishing forums where people just slate one another from behind a pseudonym. Good to see that Merchant of Doom (nice pseudonym!) has revealed his identity, so who are you Willie Gunn? This blog is all about getting anglers communicating for the the good of the fish and of course their fishing, so lets try and not get too personal.
10/09/2009 20:22 by Andrew M
Calm down chaps, its only fishing. Been reading this chain with some mirth. Just thought I might invite to Mr Gunn to join me on upper Bolham with his fly rod and see if that appeals. I suspect he would become very bored before too long. Horses for courses: not all the river is suitable for the fly and certainly not all conditions. Does Mr Gunn feel a salmon caught and released in Tiverton is more likely to survive than 1 on the Barle? I cant help but think we would be better keeping our prejudices to ourselves. But then again.... while I am sticking my $.02 in we used to return plenty of fish in the 90's. Also the peak rod catch might have been 1400 but I dont recall catches like that 1995 onwards. We averaged 150 a year at Bolham 1992,3 and 4 and about 30 a year 1995,6 and 7. Hey ho.
10/09/2009 19:47 by Willie Gunn
cont. There was no habitat work or stocking and yet the Exe produced a declared catch of 1400. Now we have at least 60% c&r an excellent habitat improvement program and a hatchery and a rod catch of 400. That was my point. Do please read the posts before flaming me. I may deserve some grief but please stick to the facts!
10/09/2009 19:42 by Willie Gunn
A few corrections. I certainly accept spinning is allowed. I do, however feel that is is a shame to subject fish which have made it all the way to the Barle to it. I assume you use a single hook a la t&s article by David Rice, but even so I dont like it. Call me old fashioned but there you are. I certainly have no reason to doubt MoD's veracity. What I was attempting to draw attention to, badly i assume, was that catches of 6 in a day on the Exe this season are far from common. Dont take it so personally, it is not meant that way! Lastly a closer look at my post will reveal that I was referring to the 1990's. My grammer is not great but my parents were too poor to educate me properly. Seriously, the point is that in the 1990'a nearly all rod caught fish were killed. tbc
10/09/2009 19:29 by Merchant of Doom
Moving on...

I’m not sure if the coppicing carried out on the Little Exe has yet increased fry and parr numbers (the EA would be the people to ask about this) but the gravel cleaning on the Haddeo appears to have worked. Greatly increased numbers of fry have been found at all sites where gravel was cleaned. Dulverton AA provided some of the volunteers for this work despite the fact that hardly any of them fish for salmon…

For what it’s worth I believe the biggest limiting factor on smolt output has been the prolonged droughts of a few years ago. Months on end of dead low water and hence a greatly reduced area of juvenile habitat.

I can't accept that nearly all the rod caught fish are being killed, the declared figures clearly refute this.
I've killed 1 from my last 14.

MoD
10/09/2009 19:21 by Merchant of Doom
... continued

More irksome to me however is your view that I had done something to be ashamed of by using the spinning rod. Last time I checked spinner was a legal method on the Exe and I believe it is a legitimate method in high water. I have used the spinner three times in the last nine seasons on the Barle. You will also note that I put it away when it became clear that the fish were well and truly on the take, and then took another three on fly.

If you don’t believe I caught anything or feel that I have done something wrong by spinning you are of course entitled to that view, but at least do the decent thing and tell me to my face on the blog I posted on rather than skulking about down here below the Junction casting aspersions.

Andy Coyne aka MoD
10/09/2009 19:20 by Merchant of Doom
Willie Gunn

I may be reading this wrong but when you wrote:-

“There was MOD on the upper Exe blog claiming 6 on the Barle, but even allowing for the fact that he was spinning, which seems a shame, he appears unique in his catching ability.”

I took that to mean that you doubted the validity of my report, I can assure you they were caught, I was there! I’m pleased to see however that you have noted my “unique catching ability”.

Although I was little surprised to get 6 in a day this season it is hardly out of the ordinary for the Barle, I have done it before (spinning in 1998) and a friend had a day of 6 on the fly in Sept 2007.

To be continued above... (800 character limit)
10/09/2009 09:58 by Bill Hayes
Its sad to see that Willie Gunn believes that 'nearly all rod caught fish are killed'. The 2007 EA catch return showed 66% returned. Is he suggesting that the river Exe angling fraternity are not being honest when they send in their returns? I can assure him that of the 11 fish caught on our beat this year 8 have been returned in good condition and this ratio will increase as the season progresses.(should we be fortunate enough to catch more!)

10/09/2009 08:40 by Nick at The Hart Flyshop
Hi WG, I know that the EA do electro fish the area periodically, so they must be amassing some kind of evidence. I hope they don't find too many of these in the process BBC NEWS | England | Devon | Devon river team's piranha shock !!! All in all though I don't think we can grumble, the fishing has been pretty good so far. When there is a spate barely a day goes by when Glyn does not email with reports of fish caught. More rain please!
09/09/2009 16:12 by Willie Gunn

Thanks Nick. There have been good numbers of smolts seen descending the river in the last couple of years, apparantly, but we have not seen many grilse this year. I wonder if we will have a bumper lot of springers next season. As for the parr, do the EA actually survey them? It would be nice to know if the Exe project is having any effect. It is heartening to see all the effort and enthusiasm put in to the project and it would be nice to know if we are getting anywhere. I am probably being premature but if a good hatchery program coupled with habitat restoration work and a net buyout cant restore salmon levels to something like they were in the 90's, with no conservation work going in to the river and nearly all the rod caught fish being killed, i dont see what can.

09/09/2009 08:03 by Nick at The Hart Flyshop (Administrator)

Catch Report 09-09-09

On 08-09-09 A coloured salmon of 34 inches but thin estimated at 12/14 lbs on fly out of black pool. Another fish was also caught on Sawdust, 27 inches est 8 lbs, coloured cock fish taken on a conehead stoats tail. Both fish returned. Reports in that Black Pool has many fish but all seem coloured. Water now low and clear.

10/09/2009 08:35 by Nick at The Hart Flyshop
Could not agree more, right place, right time. The abundance of Salmon Parr is also a great sign, lets just hope the climate ... and of course man .... allow them to return to their home in years to come. I think I counted around 30 fish so far this year caught on the Exe Carnarvon Club water which is not bad considering that the spates have been a little more haphazard than in 2008. Unfortunately it now looks like summer has arrived!
09/09/2009 16:12 by Paul Griffiths

In response to what has been written, i was fishing the Exe around Oakfordbridge two Sundays ago before we had this recent rain and had two cracking grilse (around 4-5lbs) that were complete bars of silver. I also heard of several grilse being caught just below the weir the week before. This was in low water and i think shows that this year alot depends on you being in the right place at the right time. Although the overall catches maybe down this season, for whatever reason, i find it very encouraging that the fish seem to be bigger than other years. I'm sure the Irish nets being off are a big factor in this. The abundance of salmon parr does also point to the river being in great condition and surely points to good seasons ahead......

09/09/2009 15:01 by Nick at The Hart Flyshop
Welcome to the blog Willie Gunn. The fish that are showing do seem tightly bunched. MOD said that 4 of the fish caught were to quote "kippers" see here River Barle Blog and we know that fish in this condition, (especially cock fish), can get very aggressive as they make their way upstream especially at the back end. So catching such a haul is quite possible, so well done to MoD.

As for the lack of fish, this could be down to a cycle. After all 2006 was a drought year, see here Ecfc Catch Record 2006 for the poor catches.

So, this could have a lot to do with the lack of fish. That said there are a few fresh ones about too, its just a case of being there, in the right place, at the right time. Good luck!

09/09/2009 14:02 by Willie Gunn
Firstly really enjoying the whole concept of cameras with catch returns and blogs. It all goes to making fishing in the area better. I fish both the Exe and Taw, and occasionally Barle and Mole and am extremely concerned at the lack of fish. We have had good water and no fish. Anyone know where they are? Nick's reports indicate a few but they seem to be mainly old springers. There was MOD on the upper Exe blog claiming 6 on the Barle, but even allowing for the fact that he was spinning, which seems a shame, he appears unique in his catching ability. If anyone has seen this years grilse run can they let me know where it is?

08/09/2009 11:47 by Nick at The Hart Flyshop (Administrator)
Catch Report 08-09-09

This most recently in: Two fish hooked in Junction pool yesterday (070909) .....only one landed, was a reasonably fresh 9lbs cockfish. The self released was approx. 5lb and looked like a silver bar. Fish also seen in Black pool.

I have been on the Old Womans beat and drubbed since early this morning with only Trout to show for my efforts. I did not see a fish move and it felt dead. Sounds like we just need to be there when some fish have moved into a pool as evidently there are a few fresh ones about. I will be back for more, once I have tied up a couple of new cones. Keep Fishing!

07/09/2009 20:34 by Nick at The Hart Flyshop (Administrator)

New Catch Report details

As mentioned on the blog previously a few fish have turned up over the last few days, although possibly not as many as we would have liked. A confirmed 10lb hen that was released on Saturday in Blackpool run and a couple of small Grilse were lost to an Allys the next day on Otter flats having taken on the dangle.

The Otter flats have also produced a couple of fresh fish today, not surprisingly on a Conehead. A floating line and sinking leader was used. We need more info like this, plus a time of day ... it will help all you Exe anglers to catch more fish, especially now the gauge is present on the web cam. Please let us have more of it, this blog is an ideal opportunity and not only intended for my ramblings! Sign up below.
No Comments
+ Post Comments

07/09/2009 15:45 by Nick at The Hart Flyshop (Administrator)
Catch Report 07-09-09

If you were in the process of dusting down your fly tying vice ready for the long close season after reading my blog this morning then put it away! Just had a report through to confirm the news that a Salmon was caught on Blackpool run over the weekend. The fish was "freshish" and weighed in at 10lb. The same rod, no name as of yet, hooked another 2 fish on the Otter Flats during Sunday but both were lost.

This fills me with joy as I am on beat B very shortly and the Otter Pools are my favourites. I am particularly happy as today David Botford has scored a couple of fresh Grilse down there going around 5lb. These fish were fresh so it seems that maybe there are a few there after all, just a case of getting the fly in the water and being in the right place, at the right time.
No Comments
+ Post Comments

07/09/2009 09:24 by Nick at The Hart Flyshop (Administrator)
Quiet Weekend

The Exe is still maintaining some height and very fishable. Exceptionally clear. I have been on the river throughout the weekend on 2 good beats but did not see a single fish move, only one stale cock fish caught from the fishery beat and a couple up on Blackpool beat. I hope you found this not to be the case wherever you were fishing!

Fishery owner Andrew Maund pounded our stretch of the Mole yesterday and hooked 3 Sea Trout, 1 was landed ... but no Salmon. :-( Hopefully the reports will start to flood in although I am not holding out a lot of hope based on my experiences of the weekend.

Sounds like the place to be was the Barle, see Pats blog here River Barle Blog On the up side plenty of trout rising on the Exe and a good hatch of fly.

06/09/2009 09:03 by Nick at The Hart Flyshop (Administrator)
River Holding Up

Just checked out the Exe at Exebridge and the height is holding. Very clear. Unfortunately no reports of fresh fish via email from Glyn, although with the Sunday papers out of the way that may change! I can confirm that we know of a gentlemen who captured a Salmon on Blackpool yesterday, hen fish of 10lb ... no info regarding condition of fish, fly line density or fly pattern. An intermediate or fast sink tip should be just right though and conehead tubes consistently pull fish.

Of course the Exe is not just about Salmon! Some decent sized Grayling and Brown Trout are on the hunt for food with the cold months pending. Plenty to be seen rising, a Klinkhammer or Balloon Caddis are favourite for these fish. Tungsten beads will be needed to get down in the high water when nymphing.

05/09/2009 18:42 by Nick at The Hart Flyshop (Administrator)
Catch Report 05-09-09

I have had a report in that Tim Julier hooked up a 10lb coloured cock Salmon last night, Friday 4th, on Junction Pool. The fish was returned safely after a tense battle. I also have a hazy report of another fish caught on the Blackpool beat today but as yet not confirmed. As reported earlier my client for the day, Tim Watson, caught and released a stale Grilse of around 6lb on an Intermediate line coupled to a fast sinking tip and the ever successful Conehead. This fish came from Bend Pool on the fishery beat. We also headed down to the Velvains beat but that needed a double hander to make any real headway. We have not seen a fish move all day, although Tim reported fish moving through on the dropping river last night. A lack of fresh fish around unless anyone knows otherwise.

05/09/2009 14:28 by Nick at The Hart Flyshop (Administrator)
Salmon on Bend Pool
Just in for lunch after a morning session. Tim Watson landed a stale 6lb Cock Fish around 2.10pm on a Conehead, Intermediate line and 7.0 inch per second poly tip. Fish was landed on the Exebridge Fishery beat, bend pool. Two other very good pulls, heading to lower river now. Unseasonably cold although the barometer is showing a rise which bodes well!

05/09/2009 09:05 by Nick at The Hart Flyshop (Administrator)
Its looking good

The river has dropped back fast, getting on a foot over night. It does not surprise me, yesterday I was high up the Barle and it was visibly dropping throughout the day despite some heavy rain fall. The colour has also pretty much disappeared, if anything a little clearer than I would like.

Of course there was also the news of 2 Salmon being caught on the Barle yesterday which has got to help confidence. The middle Exe is certainly still high but I would be surprised if the beats around Exebridge don't produce something today. This is your chance to help your fellow angler add a few more silver tourists to the catch log, so if you have any to tips please use the comments facility to do so. Enjoy your day and hopefully we will have some news regarding captures here for you very soon.

04/09/2009 08:32 by Nick at The Hart Flyshop (Administrator)
Higher Water

Checking out the time line it looks like the water went up a good foot overnight, not surprising the amount of rain that thrashed down! Colour too, so doesn't look so good for today. However ... if your fly is not in the water! I well remember fishing in similar conditions a couple of seasons back with a client. Yes we had to dredge with 500 grain tips and a 3" brass tube but a Salmon was caught and it adds to the joy when the chances are low.

In reality all is looking good. I reckon this water is a real blessing for September and if it eases off now the weekend could be very good and next week should be awesome. Who wants to watch that miserable git Murray, get out there and catch a Salmon!

03/09/2009 17:57 by Nick at The Hart Flyshop (Administrator)
Welcome to the Middle Exe Blog!

Welcome to the Middle Exe Blog! Modern technology meets fly fishing ... brilliant. So now we have a great way of communicating about what is happening on this stunning section of river ... the highs (its high right now!), the lows and of course everything in between. OK, enough of my waffle. Whats happening?

Well this morning the river was well up and carrying some decent colour, but already this evening it is easing back and those with weekend rods should be getting very excited! Seems like the weather people got it slightly wrong (again) and although while guiding today I have had to dodge some serious showers (including hail!) it has not been too persistent. The result is that the river is looking awesome, check the time line for assistance with height. Coneheads ready!

03/09/2009 14:18 by Nick at The Hart Flyshop (Administrator)

Welcome To The Middle Exe Blog

We're testing this system, so please feel free to register. We'll be updating river conditions shortly.

This is an interactive area between registered users and the blog administrator. This would generally be the person who is writing the reports. Great for angling tourists, tourists and locals alike ‘The Voice of the river’

You will in future be able to read the comments without registering, but to have your say, tell your tales and give advice, you need to register.