River Mole Fishing Reports 2010 - by Ian the Mole Valley Dweller

farson_digital

SPRING ON THE RIVER

There can be few finer places than the mole valley when the sun is shining. This lasy week has been glorious. The river has fined down and the water has warmed. There has been some angling effort and there are definitely fish in the Mole. As the air and water temps improve then so will the prospect of a fish moving to the fly improve. Expect to see some of the bigger peal appear in the Mole towards the back end of this month and if we get some water, increasing numbers of salmon. There are some lovely browns beginning to move and an increasing numbers of sedges and early upwings showing. The first swallows are in the valley and the countryside is definitely waking up!!

Regards

Ian

28/02/2010 21:16 by Ian the Mole Valley Dweller (Administrator)

The 2010 Season
Welcome Fisherfolk to the Molecam Blog for 2010.

The season kicks off tomorrow with the opening of the 2010 Salmon Season. We all hope that we get slightly better conditions this year and that we see a few more salmon in the system. Last season was definitely a bit hit or miss as far as the salmon were concerned - you we either in the right spot at the right time or you missed your chance. The fishing was patchy and the runs sporadic. Conditions didn't help either, the rivers in the Taw catchment ran high consistently between the first week of July and the end of the season. Any way, watchers on the Mole and Bray did see afew at the back end although quite how the spawning went only time will tell.

Right now, the river is looking in marvellous nick - tight lines. Ian

21/03/2010 21:17 by Ian the Mole Valley Dweller

We are now three weeks into the season and the fish have arrived. A good run of springers has entered the river and fish have been caught up as far as the junction pool. If we get some water and the rise in temerature continues then we will undoubtedly have fresh fish in the Mole before much longer.

Ian

05/10/2009 14:04 by Ian the Mole Valley Dweller (Administrator)

Refections on the 2009 Season

I drove over the river this morning, it was low and clear. At this time of year the Mole Valley is a wonderful place. The leaves on the trees are turning, the woods are alive with pheasants and if you are lucky, you might hear a red deer stag roar - the rut is just round the corner. The 2009 season is now a thing of the past; a bit of a curate's egg in my view - only good in parts. There were some good peal around in May, June and July, with some abslote clonkers amongst them but for me the salmon season never really got going. I think it has been a poor salmon year; few springers, a trickle of summer fish - you had to be in the right place at the right time and few grilse. I suspect we will struggle to get to a decent total. So why is this? Share your views....

14/10/2009 11:47 by Ian the Mole Valley Dweller

The red deer stags are still roaring and the leaves are still falling but we have had very little in the way of precipitation and the river remains very low.

I am told that there are fish, many of them colouring up, crashing about in the pools on the lower river and Taw. As soon a swe get spome water they will run the river and push up onto the redds. We had the first frost of the year in the valley yesterday so spawning is not too far away. it will be inetersting to see how many fish go over Head Weir when the water comes.
07/10/2009 16:43 by chris winsor
Like Ian I found the fishing very poor, I fished the bottom Taw (B&DAA water) over 20 times with 2 seatrout to show for it. I know its not the best fishing but time after time the river seemed empty,except the final week when there was a very large shoal of Mullet just below Newbridge. Having fished the Taw & its tribs Mole & Bray) for over 40 years its hard to believe that things are improving. The NRA seem complacent in that the rivers are clean & have the required number of invertebratesbut where are the fish??? Perhaps its just me.05/10/2009 14:06 by Ian the Mole Valley Dweller

I promise my spelling will improve.....

28/08/2009 16:07 by Ian the Mole Valley Dweller (Administrator)
Welcome To The River Mole Blog

We're testing this system, so please feel free to register. We'll be updating river conditions after the Bank Holiday.

This is an interactive area between registered users and the blog administrator. This would generally be the person who is writing the reports. Great for angling tourists, tourists and locals alike ‘The Voice of the river’

You will in future be able to read the comments without registering, but to have your say, tell your tales and give advice, you have to register.

08/09/2009 10:16 by chris winsor
I regularly fish the Bray & Taw & rely on local knowledge B4 I drive down from Bristol. This site will be invaluable. Many thanks & good luck chris wisnor
05/09/2009 09:54 by Ian the Mole Valley Dweller
Hi Peter

High Bullen Hotel (01769 540561) have a Beat on The Mole, which is available on a daily basis.

Tight Lines
05/09/2009 09:26 by Peter Barker
Hello
I can see from the webcam that this river loooks perfect for salmon when the Torridge and Taw are still out of order. Are there any stretches that are available for a couple of days as a vistor at short notice? I live in Hertfordshire and make regular visits to the Torridge and Teign where I am an Lower Teign FA member.

Here's hoping

Peter Barker