River Taw Fishing Reports 2010 - by Richard at Blakewell Fisheries

blakewell

07/05/2010 21:09 by Richard at Blakewell Fisheries (Administrator)
Well done

Nice to hear some salmon are about, well done Graham Bess 10lb on the Rising Sun water and Billy Fish Connecting with a few seatrout.

Richard

07/05/2010 20:58 by Richard at Blakewell Fisheries (Administrator)
Very nice

I should say so, latest seatrout action 10lb + fish from the lower river, oh yes they are on their way. We,ve had a little bit of fresh and some cloud cover all the right ingredients for some top sport. Top tip. If your in two minds GO!

05/05/2010 22:08 by Richard at Blakewell Fisheries (Administrator)
Rain

We could do with a drop, there have however been reports of seatrout in the lower and middle river. Chris Brown managed to winkle one of 2.5lb out from the Kings Nympton water. Salmon activity has been slow, they seem to going up the Torridge - interesting. The cold evenings doesn't encourage too much night fishing, so the other evening I went after a few perch, great sport, fish of just over the pound mark. Twenty minutes in the top oven, lemon, olive oil and black pepper, serve with new potatoes and salad, up there with seatrout. We should now start to have some night time sport with seatrout, lets hope for some warm evenings. Top tip. Never wrap fish to tightly.

Richard.

06/05/2010 18:20 by colin nice
My fishing companion Graham Bess caught a salmon of over 10 lb on the rising sun water on Tuesday.It was fresh but no lice,probably been in a couple of days.It took a 1" brass cascade and came from the "bearpit".The pup have a copy of the details and a photo.I lost a couple of sea trout one about the one and a half pound and one bigger but not seen.One other salmon seen.
Billy fish.

28/04/2010 23:18 by Richard at Blakewell Fisheries (Administrator)
Dry spell

With no rain for 3 weeks we could do with a drop! Although its not yet showing its bones, but with the trees about to burst into leaf river levels will drop quickly. Fishing effort has been low, the early burst of activity has slowed, but there is rain forecast, this should bring a few fish in. There have been a few seatrout caught, with the warmer nights and big tides the larger fish will start to arrive. I fished the other night, the temperature was good and water levels ideal for good seatrouting, the fly fished well but no fish. Brown trout were showing in good numbers, being tempted by a lovely hatch of olives, always a good sign early in the season. Top tip, don't go home too early. Richard

23/03/2010 23:22 by Richard at Blakewell Fisheries (Administrator)
SPRINGERS

Some nice fish have been grassed from the lower and middle Taw ranging between 6 - 13lb. Fish have been seen showing througout the river, a good sign. Its at this time you can connect with some large seatrout 6 - 10lb+ superb fighting fish with the odds stacked heavily in favour of the seatrout and that's during the day; night time is another story! Brown trout are also in season now and offer the angler a testing alternative during low water conditions, March Brown and various hackled and spider patterns will take nice fish. If anyone does catch some nice brownies please let us know, these little reported fish do however live in the river all year, so lets give them some credit. They are an important berometer and there are some nice fish present, lets hope this an upward trend. Cheers.

New Season

The season has started and we are all looking forward to perhaps a better year. River levels are holding up well, but some warmer spring weather and some fresh will encourage the early fish into the system. The bigger springers will run the river early and push on as far up stream as possilbe, even entering in Feb. If you are lucky enough to have a springer head and tail in front of you, cover him slowly, the chances are he will take. Just out of their marine environment they are nervous and unsure but will certainly take a well presented fly. So get down to the river and try your luck. During the close season we have seen the formation of ULTRA ( Upper & Lower Taw Rip Association) we look forward to the discussion and actions the two associations will bring to the Taw.

Tight lines.
View Comments (2)
+ Post Comments
23/03/2010 22:59 by Richard at Blakewell Fisheries

Tight lines Mark, a few fish have been grassed so get yourself down there and swing something big and hairy round the place. The two bodies now representing the interests on the Taw I am sure will bring much needed actions to a river in need of further sustained managed improvements for generations to come.
Rich.N.

13/03/2010 09:20 by Mark Izzard
Tight lines for the new season Richard and any one who fishes the River (and reads this!). I will be trying my luck from April.
Why two separate riparian owners' associations?
See you in the Rising Sun
Cheers
MARK (Izzard)

03/10/2009 14:34 by Richard at Blakewell Fisheries (Administrator)
End of season

Well that's it for this year on the Taw. It has been an indifferent season for many, some beats have had some decent sport while others have had little, although we have had the water. Seatrout fishing has been quite good thankfully. I took 4 rods out on the river towards the end of Sept, breakfast at High Bullen, one small peal and a couple of parr, two unplanned swims and lunch at the Rising Sun, oh and a 2.5lb seatrout. Mark Atkinson did manage to land and return a cock fish of 15lb on the upper middle Taw before the close of play. The last 2 weeks of the season saw very little fishing effort, I think the total rod catch for the Taw and its tribs this season will be around the 150 mark, we will see. Any stories, techniques, flies or controversy please send in your comments.

17/09/2009 22:15 by Richard at Blakewell Fisheries (Administrator)
Lovely weather

A few fish caught during the last good water, a pod moving through and were intercepted, grilse and salmon up to 13lb some of the larger fish were very fresh, nice to see. The river is very quite, fished my beat this week and would have normally expected to have seen a fish move, certainly as the light started to fade, but not the case. It will be interesting to see the numbers of fish going over Head weir this autumn when the heavy rains arrive again. Traditionally the autumn run brings all those fish from the lower river and estuary racing up the Taw and Mole and gives us stap shot of what is present. Although we are experiencing perhaps low numbers of salmon this year, imagine if we had a fish counter installed on the system, we,ve managed web cams.

10/09/2009 23:28 by Richard at Blakewell Fisheries (Administrator)
Catch report

The river is dropping and losing its colour, the early mornings and evenings offer the best chance of a fish. A nice fish of around 15lb was landed and retunred from a middle Taw beat on Tuesday followed by a couple of clean grilse mid week. With the lack of salmon compared to last year at least the seatrout have provided some good sport this season with a number of fish in the 3 - 7lb bracket. Is this due to good spawnings in 05 & 06, fry numbers, par smolting and survival at sea. The Taw is in pretty good order lovely fly hatches and invertbrates, numbers of brown trout and par evident all indicating towards an improving habitat and food chain. So what about the returning adult salmon this year ?

26/03/2010 09:18 by Jonathan Thomson-Glover
Fishing on Sunday March 21st my guest Seb Perry hooked 2 nice spring salmon but unfortunately lost both. The first was about 8/9lb and the second a bit smaller. Perfect conditions though. I had a small fresh peal. JHTG
17/09/2009 12:21 by Mike George
2 3/4 lb seat trout last evening (wednesday)....lower braggamarsh... no sign of salmon.
Any possibility of moving the Umberleigh webcam to above the bridge, or the other side as it is almost always very difficult to judge the water height against the light.

Mike

09/09/2009 09:04 by Richard at Blakewell Fisheries (Administrator)
Catch returns

One fish that I know of yesterday, 10lb very coloured cock fish on the Mole and a few peal. A nice fish of around 10lb lost yesterday after about a 10 minute scrap, bad luck. The water is still perfect, going to be a bit bright during the day, that will be the sun shining ! There does seem to be a lack of fish present, with conditions as good as it gets we should be seeing alot more back end and resident fish about. Tight lines.

07/09/2009 18:30 by Richard at Blakewell Fisheries (Administrator)
Welcome to the Taw blog.

Well here we are, the last month of the season and the river should be alive with fish. Conditions are perfect with the level running at 0.65m at Umberleigh this should hopefully bring a few fresh fish in. Fish will run hard in this water, but if you find yourself in front of a small pod you stand every chance of some decent sport. Watch your wading in high water, a good friend who shall remain nameless but does like a challenge, bobbed off down stream last Saturday, last seen driving home in his pants! The forecast from mid week is for warmer weather so make the most of the water, it should provide good fishing up into next week. Please post your comments, I look forward to reporting and hearing your news and views.

blakewell

Here comes the sun.

It's going to warm up and hopefully we will see some seatrout starting to move. Tawpug hooked and lost a cracker the other night a heavy fish 8 - 10lb and it was a cold evening, they are here just keeping their heads down. Brown trout fishing has been quite good, some nice olive hatches and we did see are first may fly at Blakewell today. Plenty of smolts about so handle with care if you hook one or two. Top tip. Wet your hands before you handle.

Richard.