River Thurso salmon catch statistics and fishing reports

Thurso

River Thurso salmon fishing report July 11, 2010

First of all I really must apologise for the lack of a report last week. Despite the river dropping away to four inches on the gauge we have still managed to pick away incredibly well. There are a lot of fish arriving in the Estuary and, with a little water to bring them in, the prospects for the remainder of the Season is looking really good.

Eddie McCarthy

Thurso

River Thurso salmon fishing report June 20, 2010

First of all I really must apologise for the lack of a report last week----------I was so busy entering catches in the record book!!!!
We are continuing to fish very well even though the river is now running at eight inches on the gauge. The quality of fish is really good with Malcolm Walder returning fish of twenty, two fifteens and a thirteen pounder.
It has become very cold again (bloody global warming) and it is rapidly pulling the river levels down.

Eddie McCarthy

Thurso

River Thurso salmon fishing report June 27, 2010

It has been a hot, humid week with the river dropping very quickly. When there was a breeze there were fish taken on most beats. With the hot weather the water temperature is rising which, as time goes on, will discourage the fish from entering the system.

Eddie McCarthy

Thurso

River Thurso salmon fishing report Aug 01, 2010

I really must apologise for the lack of a recent report----------I have been so busy counting the numbers of fish in the Estuary, waiting to access the river!!!
Despite low water conditions, and not the best of atmospherics, we have been fishing incredibly well with most beats producing almost on a daily basis.
I had the pleasure of taking my eight year old Grandson Ryan out for a bit of trout fishing one evening and he is really casting well. On landing his second trout I suggested to him that, as I was his Ghillie, I should get a tip. After a little while he said, " Grandad, I have your tip----------------- if you keep your hands in your pockets that will stop your fingers from geetting very cold"!!! I really do hope that this was entirely innocent and not schooling by that Father of his!!

Eddie McCarthy

Thurso

River Thurso salmon fishing report Aug 08, 2010

With a very slight rise in water level over the weekend we fished very well taking over 150 fish , most of which were grilse.
My instruction to the anglers for the next three weeks will be to hoover up as many fish as possible before the " Mottley Mob" arrive for the week of September 6th!

Eddie McCarthy

Editor

The Salmon Atlas
River Thurso salmon fishing report Aug 14, 2010

We have enjoyed another incredibly good week taking over three hundred fish. These have been mainly very fat, healthy grilse, but there has been the odd fish observed in excess of twenty pounds.

Highlight of the week for me was my Grandson Ryan taking his first grilse ( see The Thurso River - Caithness for video)

EM

Editor

The Salmon Atlas
River Thurso salmon fishing report Aug 22, 2010

Although the river has dropped back and overhead conditions were poor we still enjoyed a good week taking well over 100 fish. Nine year old Edward Thorpe took his first fish which is worthy of mention and every beat produced fish which was very encouraging

EM

Editor

The Salmon Atlas
River Thurso salmon fishing report Aug 29, 2010

With Loch More now full we look to have good prospects for the remainder of the Season.

A large percentage of the fish taken this week have been silver, sea-liced--------and we are still seeing fish in the Estuary.

EM

Editor

The Salmon Atlas
River Thurso salmon fishing report Sep 5, 2010

Although we have had a good week it was somewhat spoiled by an event that tends to take place every year. Summer Arrived. Thankfully, it only lasted it`s usual three days and we are back in action again. Dennis Farqhaur had a great week as did Messrs. Maskell and Claydon and young George Wadsley had his first salmon on his first visit to the Thurso.

Editor

The Salmon Atlas
River Thurso salmon fishing report Sep 12, 2010

It has beenn a very strange week with poweful gales for the first three days followed by a flat calm.
The fish have become a bit dour and need another drop of water to make them really active again.

Eddie

Editor

The Salmon Atlas
River Thurso salmon fishing report Sep 19, 2010

The early part of the week saw Loch More being filled up and the fishing took off again. It is very pleasing to see all of the beats producing and we were chuffed to see Susan Grieve take her first fish.

Eddie

Editor

The Salmon Atlas
River Thurso salmon fishing report Sep 26, 2010

Despite the river being quite high for most of the week, anglers enjoyed some excellent sport. It is very gratifying that, even if we do not have a compulsory catch and release policy, nearly all of the fish are being returned.

Eddie

Editor

The Salmon Atlas
River Thurso salmon fishing report Oct 5, 2010

Despite some terrible conditions we have continued to fish very well. We have had our best ever September return taking just short of a thousand fish. It is very pleasing to see anglers return the majority of fish--------without any silly litttle rules or regulations.

Editor

The Salmon Atlas
River Thurso salmon fishing report Oct 10, 2010

Another season has come to an end and all kinds of records have been broken. We had the best ever monthly return in August and September produced it`s best ever result. All of this culminated in a best ever Season with 3,022 fish.

I would like to thank all of the Thurso River staff, both full and part time, who gave so much to make the season what it was. I would like to thank and congatulate the anglers who were a part of this record breaking season ahd hopefully, will see them all again next year.

A massive thank you to Co- owner Simon Laird who has given so much in the past five years to take the river to where it is, and also to John Drummond, who is Simon`s representitive here in the North for both the river and the Hotel. It has been a privilege to work with them both.

i would like to ask the opinion of those who subscribe to the site as to what the would like me to report on over the Winter period. Do you want a Daily Blog? Weekly Report? Do you want the river height published? i would be very grateful for your thoughts.