Simon Gawesworth - spey advice

david07

Simon

Single handed Trout & Salmon fishing since I was a boy. Actually love casting, not just fishing so, introduced to Spey casting on the last day of the season last year .........

Unfortunately, now seriously addicted.

Very much enjoyed your DVD throughout the winter months and then sought some serious instruction whilst comparing 15" 10# rods.

Now have a problem:

Wish to purchase rod & reel which is usually easy just try and buy. However after less than 4 hours instruction on Spey casting I don't feel I'm in a position to know that the rod I may be getting on well with now might not be for me in a months time (they seem very different to me).

I have a bias towards Sage single handed rods but found the action on the Sage DH too tip-flex and difficult to use and ironically found the rod that I got along with best was the Hardy Demon (full flex) I only own 1 old Hardy stream rod, although I like some of their reels. However, as I hopefully improve this might change or maybe not, I really don't know. The point is I want to purchase to practice. How would you advise.

On another note I have been generally advised that as far as DH Salmon fishing is concerned I need to purchase a reel with a superior drag system on it such as an Abel but at around £700 I have reservations at this early stage.

On the subject of spey casting I've noticed subtle differences between your style and those I'm being taught i.e. use of shotgun lift. Is it possible to book tuition with you on the Spey?

Regards

David

Editor

The Salmon Atlas
I have been generally advised that as far as DH Salmon fishing is concerned I need to purchase a reel with a superior drag system on it such as an Abel but at around £700 I have reservations at this early stage.

I'm not suprised - the advice is rubbish!

Whilst it's nice to use a fine top class reel (and Abel are very good) the drag is not really an issue at all. Probably more fish are lost fiddling with drag than if never touched it at all. I cant remember the last time I upped my drag (which is set low) - dont need much for salmon. Now Tarpon might be different!?

zeieizh

For a brake reason, it's rubbish allright, but for a IAR-reason it's understandable.

I have bought different reels for a couple of Abels worth and it would have been cheaper, if I just have bought one Abel or similar instead at the first place.

Those third party reels, such Vision, Guideline, Loop, Hardy I have had problems with. Mostly with IAR-bearing. Mostly ****.

cb

SalmonAtlas
Those third party reels, such Vision, Guideline, Loop, Hardy I have had problems with. Mostly with IAR-bearing.

What goes wrong with the IAR-bearing? You must fish too much - lucky blighter!

The only issue I have ever had (with my Hardy reels) was not enough lubricant on the spindle then the reel felt like it was jamming - as soon as I greased then all perfect again. I dont fish that often though - which is a great pity!

Thanks

Colin

Last edited by a moderator:

zeieizh

Hi Colin

Those plastic bearings(fex.Vision) wears quickly and just breaks. Then it's a free spool.
Bearings of Guideline gets rust and lubricant vanishes.
The guy, who does desinfection bath for reels up north, said that he won't take responsibility, if Guide reel brakes after bath. :)

Hi David

Sorry about the delay in replying to you, but I was on holiday with my family for the last 2 weeks.

Thanks a lot for buying a copy of the dvd and for your kind words. I am glad you enjoyed it, and even more glad that you are enjoying spey casting.

It's a tough question to answer without seeing your casting style. A good guideline is to choose a similar action of two handed rod to that which you like in a single handed rod. The reason being that your timing, stroke acceleration and "stops" won't need to change. If you have crsip stops with a single handed rod because you use a fast one, then those crsip stops will be great with a faster two handed rod, whereas the soft rods require easier and slower stops.

I am intrigued to know which two handed rod you tried of Sage's and would hazard a guess at the TCX.. that is a very powerful rod indeed. A better rod from Sage that suits most beginner's is the Z-axis series - but maybe this is the one that you tried?

I don't think you need a reel with an epic drag system for starting off at all. There are few salmon that will test such a system. Sure, it is nice to own a fantastic reel and maybe if you really get into this you will step up to that level, but you will do great with a moderate price reel with a semi decent drag system as a starter - they may or may not have a long, trouble free life.

Hope this helps.

All the best
Simon

Ayuda para escojer linea.

Tengo 2 Vision Catapult de 14 y 15 pies. Que cabezas lanzadoras necesito.
Gracias.

+++++++++++++++++++++

Help to choose from a line.

I have two rods Vision 14 and 15 feet. That heads lengths needed?.

Thank you.

Hola 202, I like a ratio of just under 3:1 for shooting heads, so the 14ft rod would be great with around 40 ft, while the 15ft would be about 42ft.. at least that is for my style.

Last edited: