Spey Reel Recommendation

swiecima

Hoping to get some input on a reel for my Loop Yellow Line 13'2" 9wt. rod that I got on the weekend. I will be using my Loop Opti Adapted 9/10 shooting heads and fronts on it.I am looking at a few different reels and need advice on which would best balance on this rod.
Mega Loop 10-14
Opti Speed Runner 7-10
Multi 9-12

Thanks in advance for any help,Randy.

Editor

The Salmon Atlas
I would certainly look at the big Loop Opti reels - they are Beautiful!

To me balance is important – but where to balance point is – is a matter of personal preference. So I suggest you go out with an outfit (which has a light reel) and start casting. Use a small bag attached around the reel and start adding coins until the outfit feels good/balanced to you (not tip heavy) - then weigh the reel plus coins and you have a guide to the weight of reel required. Normally, the longer the rod, the heavier reel is required to stop it feeling tip heavy.

Experimentation is the key. I must say that generally the manufacturers’ labelling is of little use!

Hope this helps

Colin.

PS. I like the balance point to be just above my upper hand.

bushi

I do not recommend Multi reel as I've got some troubles with it due to the reel is made of cast material. If you do not want to spend a lot of money on the reel go with Multy as generally it is ok and will balance your rod quite well. Loop rods are not tip heavy. I have yellow 8124 and Multi 9-12 balances it very well. Suppose will be not a problem for you rod too.

fredaevans

Bringing this back to the top.

Here in the US there is a new 'major player' coming to the fore. SpeyCo reels. Every one of these are custom made for the buyer and at a cost even the average fisherman could afford.

One of the nicer things is you have many options as to how you'd like to 'trick out' the reel so it really is yours, not one of 10,000 stamped out in China.

No personal connection to the Company short of owning three of the reels and a forth one coming.

Speyco.net