Grande River

ken@fishdee

Some of the pics of our January trip.You know the guides are so positive about their river its refreshing to hear them say things like " Your next hook up could be a world record sea trout" It adds an extra bit of spice and optimism to your efforts. Here's some pics from the fishing holiday which was tremendous. I have paid to go back next January and am really looking forward to going back. More images etc can be found at GCOF 2009 which Reid Hagelin owns-He hosts trips around the world with the Rio Grande being one of his annual destinations and for £4,500 for 10 days full board and fishing-exceptionally good value imo.

CIMG1034.jpg

One of 5 taken during a hot evening session where I had 8 takes and 5 fish during the last hour on a monkey stripped square.

RioGrande2010059.jpg

Lovely fresh run fish with a blue tinge

RioGrande2010065.jpg

Returned to the river to get on with the migration to the redds

RioGrande2010087.jpg

Night time would see the big fish come and roll on the surface where you wouldnt see them during the day as they are quite shy

RioGrande2010117.jpg

You can see how deep this 18.5 lber is-no problems where they feed

RioGrande2010119.jpg

Some of the fish run as early as November and will spawn in March/April

I had some scales examined from a 17 lber that showed it had smolted after 2 years and returned as a maiden spawner after 3 years at sea. It then spawned a further four times prior to being caught on its sixth spawning run-it was returned safely.

RioGrande2010204.jpg

Party organiser Reid Hagelin of GCOF 2009

RioGrande2010060.jpg

The takes were savage at times with fish embarking on 100 metre plus rushes downstream when hooked.

RioGrande2010043.jpg

Picture of Paul Young and Diego with Pauls 32 lb fish - Paul is going back shortly and was so helpful giving me some tips about the river.This helped me enormously ensure I had the right tackle and flies.

RioGrande2010056.jpg

My wish was to get a double figure sea trout and I was so delighted as you see with my first fish a super 12lber.

The 20 lber was a great fighter and took a small EMB single hooked fly.

RioGrande2010100.jpg

RioGrande2010104.jpg

Editor

The Salmon Atlas
Superb posts Ken !

So you live on the banks of the Dee for salmon and get to Argentina for sea trout too? Lucky ***********

All the best

Colin

ken@fishdee

Superb posts Ken !

So you live on the banks of the Dee for salmon and get to Argentina for sea trout too? Lucky ***********

All the best

Colin
I am fortunate to get some good opportunities Colin-looking forward to Kharlovka and Litza trip a week on Friday.
BTW I live about 50 yards away from the Fawn Pool at Little Blackhall & Inchmarlo and have the golf course at the bottom of my back garden too! Great location for fishing and golfing-any excuse to avoid excessive gardening duties.

Last edited:

Editor

The Salmon Atlas
This is one BIG fish!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dK-jPID4vk]YouTube - Huge Sea Trout 30pound , Fly fishing , Rio Grande, Tierra del Fuego, Villa Maria Record 2009[/ame]