Lyn Fishing Reports 2010 by Paul @ West Lyn Farmhouse Holiday Cottages

farson_digital

08/05/2010 14:20 by Paul @ West Lyn Farmhouse Holiday Cottages
Rain needed

The camera still appears to be off-line. The river that you cannot see is very low. We have had no significant rainfall for over a month now, certainly not enough to cause the river to go in to spate - which is now needed to bring in fresh fish that may be waiting in Lynmouth bay. I have no reports of any fish being caught, and I suspect angling pressure is very light. I did spot a couple of sea trout lying in the tail of Overflow pool about two weeks ago, but the river has dropped away since then, and any sea trout in the river will be very hard to catch in the current conditions. February weather has returned to North Devon and seems set to stay. The air tempertaure at 11.00 am today was a balmy 5 celsius with a gusty North easterly. It is May!!

29/03/2010 14:41 by Paul @ West Lyn Farmhouse Holiday Cottages (Administrator)

Update on 29 March

I have a very reliable report of fish entering the river on the late tide on Saturday 27th. They were observed moving up to Tors Road bridge on the big spring tide. Water temperatures are still low and it is unlikely these fish will move too far up river. Try the big pools between Overflow pool and Watersmeet. The camera if off line but this morning ( Monday), the water was a perfect height with a little colour

01/03/2010 20:37 by Paul @ West Lyn Farmhouse Holiday Cottages (Administrator)

A New Season
starts today. Big tides this week. Despite popular opinion,you should not rule out the chance of a decent springer from the river. Try the big deep pools from Vellacotts to Long Pool with a Flying "C" fished as slowly and as deep as practical. It is a beautiful walk up through the Lyn valley with a spinning rod particularly when spring does burst on the scene. Remember it is catch and release only until 16 June

23/10/2009 09:58 by Paul @ West Lyn Farmhouse Holiday Cottages (Administrator)

Reflections on a poor season

The clocks are about to change and the river is choking on fallen leaves, and that's another season gone. Not the best by the usual high standards of the Lyn. Despite good water in the summer, the Grilse did not appear in their usual numbers and I suspect that the rod catch for the river is well down on the two previous seasons. Hopefully the fish will all return next year after two sea winters. The last fish from our beat was in late September. It was just under 8lb and quite fresh but badly run marked on it's belly. Despite the river still being low, a few fish are scrambling in. Yesterday there was a fish just in to the river by the car park in Lynmouth. Lying in a pot that barely concealed it, the fish was one of the best I have seen all season and a high double.
Paul

sebastian747

July update for you.

Here's an update as of the week of 18th July 2010. Good rain fall brought the river up and turned it bourbon brown, run of good grilse and salmon on the 17 th several fish caught below Vellacots some in the pool itself on spinner, otherwise worm. On the 18th I caught 2 fish upstream at cauldron one of albs the other 9 lbs both fresh run with lice . More showers forecast and things looking much fresher . Fish now at Murtleberry bend. Anon

sebastian747

Another cracking day

18th July 2010 , water dropping away a little my brother took a 9.5 lb salmon from Lyn rock pool and my dad a 7lb fish from black pool. Fish still moving through the river more rain to come .