Rod Weight Identification - Montague Highland

rclift17

Hello Everyone:

I recently purchased a fly rod at yard sale. I do not know much about fly fishing as I have just started in the sport. The seller was asking $75 for the rod so I decided to buy it. He couldn't tell me much about the rod as he was selling it for his brother. It measures 8 feet. I believe it to be bamboo? Not certain on that. Can anyone help me identify the weight of the rod? I live in Pennsylvania and hope to use the rod for trout fishing. I also hope to do some salmon fishing as well.

What line weight would work well with the rod and what is an acceptable reel? Lastly, is the rod worth fishing? Thanks!

Ryan

SingleMalt

Hi Ryan

Sounds like you got a nice buy for $75. Bamboo is nice to cast with but can be heavy compared to modern rods - but at 8ft that shouldnt be an issue.

I think you should try a #5 or #6 line with this rod to see how it goes. The AFTM line rating system is really not an exact match up and there is a wide range that can be used. Simply use the length of line ut of the rod tip that you feel 'works' the rod comfortably. I guess only expereince will help you judge this. Perhaps a better idea is to take it into you local flyshop if possible and ask them to recommend.

Enjoy the sport!

SM