shooting head length?

gotsteel

What is the optimum head length for underhand (Scandinavian) style casting? I've heard 2.5 x the length of the rod.

Editor

The Salmon Atlas
I would say anything between 40 to 50ft is fine. As Fred says the the weight will determine the loading point for your specific rod. Better to be too long than too short as you can take some of the head inside the rod rings.

I use 50ft for everything, but for very long casts handling the running line can be a pain when wading deep - but I try to avoid wading above the knees anyway. (and so should everyone else!)

Colin

gotsteel

underhand (Scandinavian) head length?

Does the head length for underhand casting include the leader length plus the shooting head length or just the shooting head itself?

lhomme

Does the head length for underhand casting include the leader length plus the shooting head length or just the shooting head itself?

Hi Gotsteel,

I would say the head on itself. The leader comes as additional length and ideally would be the line you use to anchor on the surface (the head making the D-loop). It gets a bit more complicated when you start to use polyleaders (which will add additional weight to the head). But in practice the length of polyleader will substitute the equal length of a nylon leader butt and thus in combination with a nylon tippet become the anchor. (Pfff:( I hope I didn't make it too complicated).

Sure more experienced guys will come up with a better explanation.;)
Johan

fredaevans

Simple answer is 'no' here in the Pacific Northwest. 'Leader' is not included in the length of a Skagit head, but many of the folks will include the length of a sink tip/"T-this or that" in the calculation given the 'head' is part of the sustained anchor (actually being allowed to sink a bit as you're coming around to form the 'D' loop).

As for length a 'Skagit head' that will be 2 to 2.5 rod length, a Scandi will be 3 to 3.5. Same thing with the leader vs sink tip/T-8 to T-17 sinking heads.

Hope that makes sense.

fae

Last edited: