Upstream/Downstream wind and River Right and River Left

speydreamer

I'm very new to the world of Spey and simply loving it. I'm familiar with the mechanics of Single, Double, Snap T/ Circle C, Perry Poke and Snake Roll casts. I have a 13ft 8wt rod with a Skagit Flight head and 12ft sinktip looped on to the end.

I feel a bit daft because I can't get my head around Upstream and Downstream winds combined with River Left or River right. I just seem to have mental block on it. I know the basic safety precaution of making sure that the fly is not blowing at me but that's it.

I get loads of technical stuff but this one just twists my mind - sorry, a bit embarrassed!!!

Can someone help me?

Cheers
Chris

SingleMalt

I'm very new to the world of Spey and simply loving it. I'm familiar with the mechanics of Single, Double, Snap T/ Circle C, Perry Poke and Snake Roll casts. I have a 13ft 8wt rod with a Skagit Flight head and 12ft sinktip looped on to the end.

I feel a bit daft because I can't get my head around Upstream and Downstream winds combined with River Left or River right. I just seem to have mental block on it. I know the basic safety precaution of making sure that the fly is not blowing at me but that's it.

I get loads of technical stuff but this one just twists my mind - sorry, a bit embarrassed!!!

Can someone help me?

Cheers
Chris

The key to remembering all of this is to understand:

1. You choose bank looking downstream. i.e. the left bank is the one on your left when you look downstream. - I'm sure you know this but many people dont!

2. Downstream wind = downstream final loop
(the wind helps create the loop)

3. Upstream wind = upstream final loop
(the wind helps create the loop)

4. Being left or right handed takes no part in the decision!

5. If there is little or no wind - do whatever you like best!

In real fishing situations however it sometimes is impossible to follow this guide - espcially when you can't wade and trees/bushes etc cause loop formation problems. If you find you simply cannot form the loop "with the wind" then use one of the water-borne-casts (e.g. snap-t or double spey) that keep the line well anchored in the water. Much safer!

Hope this helps

SM

speydreamer

Thanks for that SM, I'd got river left and right - it was then factoring this with the wind. Glad you confirmed the fact that sometimes things aren't straight forward. Sometimes I have to do a combination of moves to get the fly 'safe' and get my anchor point correct. Basically, if I use water loaded casts rather than touch & go if wind conditions are difficult I should be fine.

Editor

The Salmon Atlas
Basically, if I use water loaded casts rather than touch & go if wind conditions are difficult I should be fine.

Yes, I agree but only if forced to do so by obstructions.

Whatever the case dont be shy at changing the hand up the rod. Once you can cast left and right handed, more and more opportunities open up and you could fish anywhere in the world in any conditions. A good feeling!

Colin

Editor

The Salmon Atlas
You're right Colin - been avoiding this truth but I reckon I need to grasp the nettle!
Cheers
Chris

My tip when casting left-handed is to keep your left arm really tucked into the body. Cast with your shoulder rotation more than the arm. Oh, and hold the rod handle half way down. You'll be amazed at how much more control you will have of the rod tip - and therefore cast.

Good luck!

Colin

fredaevans

My tip when casting left-handed is to keep your left arm really tucked into the body. Cast with your shoulder rotation more than the arm. Oh, and hold the rod handle half way down. You'll be amazed at how much more control you will have of the rod tip - and therefore cast.

Good luck!

Colin

+1 Colin.

Leaving wind out of this for the moment, most of 'us' on this side of the Pond look at river right/left by facing the river. If the flow is 'left to right' (down stream) it's river 'right.' Opposite would be true if flow's going the other direction.

You may also find that (being right or left handed) certain casts are just easier depending which way the river is flowing in front of you. You just have to 'practice' left hand up (or right if you're a 'south paw' as we'd say on this side of the Pond).

Your 'option,' and MANY DO, is to learn to cast 'cackhanded' ('Murican term). Or casting off your left shoulder with right hand up. Not pretty, but effective.

fae