Week Commencing 19th February 2024

S

Sandy Howie

Good afternoon all

Another week has gone by, February nearly finished already.

Its a cracking afternoon in Elgin, cold and bright. There was quite a frost here over the past couple of nights so that will contract the river a bit further for the week ahead. The ghillies and the owners will still need to see what affects the winter storms have had.

I think it is apparent from speaking to the ghillies that the damage in places in quite significant with quite a bit of work needing done in patches so it will be quite interesting to see where the fish, when they arrive in bigger numbers are going to be holding up.

The mornings are starting to stretch and I no longer need to worry about the torch when out with the dog first thing, its great to be out now the brightness is back and hearing the bits and pieces of bird song that are going on in the trees and bushes.

I was out at the start of the week walking the dog in the dark of the early evening and on two consecutive nights encountered a number of small lizards on the warm tar surface. I was quite taken aback at seeing just under a dozen over the evenings but this colder spell has certainly sent them to cover.

Its been a slightly busier week on the river than last with a total of three spring fish landed, as that is all that I am aware of from the ghillies and social media.

Aberlour Angling Club had 2 fish from their water, both landed in the Sandy Hole. Shane Frazer was the first captor with a fine 9lb fish and then yesterday Ian Morisson got his season off the mark with a fine fish, no further information about it I am afraid.

Shane-Frazer-with-his-first-of-the-season-at-Aberlour-9lb-from-the-Sandy-Hole-472x1024.jpg

Shane Frazer with his first of the season at Aberlour, 9lb from the Sandy Hole

The only other fish I know of is from Arndilly and here is Euan’s first report of the season:_

Kevin Barron had our first fish of the season from the left side of the Soo at 18″ on our guage. The river rose a bit midweek and dropped back to just over 12″ yesterday. I see it’s back lower than that today with the frost overnight.
I’m surprised we didn’t get another this week as the water was just perfect.

Kevin-and-his-Arndilly-bar-of-silver.jpg

Kevin and his Arndilly bar of silver
The-lucky-fly.jpg

The lucky fly

Kevin was presented with a prize for capturing the second fish of the season, along with ghillie, Keith Mclaren by Paul Hughes, Marketing ans Communications Manager for the Spey Fishery Board.

Kevin-Barron-and-ghillie-keith-McLaren-receiving-their-gifts.jpg

Kevin Barron and ghillie Keith McLaren receiving their gifts

It looks like there will be an uplift in temperatures as the week progresses with a bit of rain at the end of the week.

Before I go for this week I would like to wish Allan Crook all the very best with regards to his efforts in opening Speyside Angling Supplies in Fochabers. The shop is a welcome addition and give anglers an outlet for flies, rods, lines etc local to the lower Spey. Allan is a well known local angler and will no doubt receive a lot of local support in making the shop a success.

Tightlines to the rods out and about in the week ahead, which may include myself!!!

Sandy

The post Week Commencing 19th February 2024 appeared first on River Spey.

Continue reading...