Where do you fish?

Editor

The Salmon Atlas
Question

I would be most interested in a brief description of Team Speycast members' favourite salmon rivers/beats.

John

We will put this question to the team. Eoin is very busy with 'Tweed' matters until the end of the month and you will find things will start to move more quickly on here once he has the time to focus on the forum etc.

Thanks for your support and interest and we are fully committted to develop this into a very busy site and forum

Editor

eoin fairgrieve

John,

Many thanks for your mail and support of Speycast. With a working life in fly fishing, I'm very fortunate to travel to various destinations including Russia, Patagonia, Scandinavia and Florida. This often can be work related i.e. hosting a group of anglers or conducting seminars and casting clinics. My favorite destination is Patagonia, were I have fished some great rivers and lakes in both Argentina and Chile. I still very much enjoy fishing the Tweed system (particularly in the backend!), but teaching commitments at my school near Kelso limit time for personal fishing.

Best wishes

Eoin

Hi John

I have to say that the Spey has my heart, and in particular Carron & Laggan and Rothes beats.....

On a worldwide scale I'd add the Ponoi, a small river in Norway I used to fish called the Osen and also a fantastic river in Quebec called the Pabos Nord.... most beautiful!

Just a few of my favourites, but to be honest I'd put any clean river with salmon on my list... I just love that fish!

Cheers
Simon

fyshstykr

Simon,
I'm new to the spey game, only started last month on the Salmon River in Idaho, but I can tell already this is going to be a long lasting relationship.

I understand you did a speyclave there a few years ago? Any plans for another?

By the way I enjoy the RIO' speycasting dvd's you have done.

John.

Hi John

Welcome to this wonderful and confusing world of spey casting! Glad to see you have started on a decent river.. where do you fish, as a matter of fact? I am usually around North Fork whenever I get time to nip over there!

I did do a spey clave there a few years ago, and will gladly attend another one. My only requirements are that it is in season, that there are fish around and that someone would help share my hip flask of Glen Rothes..... I don't think the Salmon clave has been held for a year or two, though.

Cheers
Simon

fyshstykr

Simon,
The fish are there in good numbers this year, a record return as I understand it.

Being the first time on the Salmon I don't know the names of all the various runs on the river but I can tell you this, my wife caught a beautiful 33" natural buck in a deep hole just above The 4th of July.
The area between the town of Salmon to just beyond The North Fork is the water we were fishing.

I cannot speak for anyone else, but I think it a sin not to partake of a fine single malt when offered. :)

That is true.... Nice to have rivers so full of fish!!! It has been like that on any Columbia river trib!!! You chose a great year to take up the spey game!

I know that area pretty well as it is the nearest spot to me for steelhead! Well in on that 33"!!!

... and I love your single malt sentiments!

Cheers
Simon

fyshstykr

I thought maybe you were in the S/E Idaho area.

Does anyone use their speyrod on the Southfork? or even lower on the river chasing carp? Is that acceptable to do?

Cheers. :)

Sure, though not so much a full spey rod as one of the switch rods... I use a #5 for swinging spiders and streamers for big browns on the South Fork and anywhere else I fish for trout.. awesome!!!

fyshstykr

Well let's see some pics of them monster from the Southfork.
I spend more time there than anywhere else, but have not seen anyone fishing a spey or switch. Could be that I'm too busy fishing. lol.

Pics please.....

Diver Dan

Greetings to all on my first post.

I fish the Rainy River on the border between Minnesota, USA and Ontario, Canada. There are no Salmon or Trout here, but we have big Walleye, Smallmouth Bass, Northern Pike, and Musky. On accasion I make it to the North Shore of Lake Superior where I can fish for Salmon and Trout. It has a few good rivers like the Knife ,Sucker, Lester and French.

I'm probably the only person within 300 miles with a spey rod. The only people here that even know what a spey rod is are people I've shown mine to. I have a Canadian friend I've been working on getting into spey fishing. Then there will two of us. That's how the revolution starts.:D

H

humber123

Simon

I grew up fishing Saturday mornings on the River Forth in Scotland during February and March. Heavily fished Council Water, 40 plus guys out fishing etc. All Spinning with Devons etc.

Caught several Spring fish on Tobies there startin off at 15 years old with a 16.5 lb Springer- all nice clean fish so you can possibly understand when I say my favourite Beat these days would be somewhere like Makerstoun which I have fished in early February and Hollylee which I fish at the backend of the season.

Totally different styles of fishing on the same river.

For me, the objective is to catch a decent (17lb or more) Spring Salmon on a Sunk Line set up when the Snowdrops/crocuses are in bloom on the riverbank.
So I'm booked in to Upper Floors this year for February!!

That's my dream fishing.

2nd place is the River Erriff in Eire during a grilse run in late June/July. Been there, done that - absolutley fantastic but that was in 1986 before children etc!! Best craic in the world also!

humber123