Long belly spey lines.

Diver Dan

What's the longest head you can comfortably cast with a 15' rod? I want to get a long belly spey line, and have even considered building a new rod just for that. I was looking at the carron jetstream lines with the 75' head. To long for a 15' rod? What does the 9/10 75 ft. head weigh?

ACW

75 ft head will be fine on a 15,I use the inter on my 15 ft Loomis of vintage and on my 16 ft Norway,its a line my son and i fight over when we are out together ,
Cant helpwith the weight,hoperully Malcolm (Willie Gunn) will have the answers!

John Gray

What's the longest head you can comfortably cast with a 15' rod? I want to get a long belly spey line, and have even considered building a new rod just for that. I was looking at the carron jetstream lines with the 75' head. To long for a 15' rod? What does the 9/10 75 ft. head weigh?

In my view, the 75 foot Carron 10/11 is certainly not too long for a fifteen foot rod. I use one with my 14 ft Norway Speycaster, rated #9, and the combination is very efficient.

Hi Dan

It depends on how deep you are wading. If you are ankle deep, or standing on a groin, you could certainly carry 80 to 90 ft head lines with no problem (depending on your skill level). If you are up to your tits, I'd shorten that to about 65 to 75 feet.

Cheers
Simon