new tyne tunnel no effect as yet

hutch

the tyne has had its best start for many a year with salmon caught from the tidal reaches downstream as far up river as corbridge [ i recon 35 fish caught i wont be far off ] . but we all know its a long season and we canot control whats going on out at sea from greenland to the tyne [ look at 2009 season ] anyway lets be positive the new tunnel i recon has no effect as yet on our salmon runs thats just my own opinion ok . . the real time to tell is when the river is low for a few weeks in the summer and if dirt ect comes up off the river bed through work this is when we will no the real effect lets hope guys its all a load of hoggwash this tunnel lark .

hutch

update another 3 salmon caught lower river 11, 13 pounds, canny start best i recon for 23 years. My 40 or so years on our river these last 3 the salmon are coming when we dont exspect them and when we exspect them to appear the dont turn up . iam talking about dec to july ? when normally its april building up to nov. Season feb till 31st oct when we can fish. Last nov 09 I seen lots running over Wylam weir last week of month i know the EA will say the Riding Mill fish pass is correct I dont doubt this but we anglers witness some strange runs over the season and close season. This has nothing to do with new tunnel its well out to sea whats happening out their bring in moulder n scully

zigzag

When I first read about the new Tyne Tunnel I was quite concerned, but I am sure the salmon and sea trout runs were not overlooked, especially now the Tyne is the best Salmon river in England, but is nice to read the Tyne's spring run looks good this year. Hopefully the sea trout numbers will improve this year after reading in another post of their decline in the 2009 season.

Ziggy

hutch

my club catches now 23 salmon so far these past 2 months . i see the worry for sea trout my pal a non fisherman living in southend on sea says his mate a netsman off his coast line the white baits in the sea this season allready is massive . this is our sea trouts main food and an area where our sea trout come from lets hope they feed well and survive for the run on the tyne starting end of may till oct . i will keep updates on the southend area regular on here even though he aint a fisherman he knows the crack [local ] . in this area also the wet fish shops sell 100s of fresh sea trout over a summer see local sites on fish stalls on the front this will help us know a little .

tonyl

my club catches now 23 salmon so far these past 2 months . i see the worry for sea trout my pal a non fisherman living in southend on sea says his mate a netsman off his coast line the white baits in the sea this season allready is massive . this is our sea trouts main food and an area where our sea trout come from lets hope they feed well and survive for the run on the tyne starting end of may till oct . i will keep updates on the southend area regular on here even though he aint a fisherman he knows the crack [local ] . in this area also the wet fish shops sell 100s of fresh sea trout over a summer see local sites on fish stalls on the front this will help us know a little .

Well lets hope last year was an anomoly and we get some proper numbers up the river again this season.
Everyone you speak to on any beat of the Tyne was disappointed with last years run-or lack of it:confused:
Mind you,my father in law had two in a sunday morning session,10lbs and 12.5lbs:eek:That was the lower South Tyne with 4ft in it!!!!
Cant beat the old hands:)

jonc

Well fingers crossed, been a lot of springers caught so far this year. Mind you I am not concerned about the stats from the fish counter at Riding Mill this year so far, as you well know the water has been freezing cold.
Fish are on the move now, North and South Tyne's may well get some sport real soon.

tonyl

Water has been up to 6 degs lately jon:)
Lets get the dregs of this flood out of the way and we can start moving upstream a bit,hopefully this weekend;)
A tad early for the North and South rivers,however,hope springs eternal!:)

raypat

hello guys, im new to this forum and was pointed in this direction when i joined NERAC this year (PATTER on the nerac website)

i also fish the eden so il keep that thread informed if anyones intrested that is :D

realy looking forward to fishing the south tyne , ive fished the north tyne for 6 years but never the south tyne so any tips will be appreciated ;)
Ray

raypat

wots wid the mad clocks on here :confused: it says you posted your reply at 9.40. now it doesnt take much for me to get confused to start with, so now im in big trouble :D

tonyl

Welcome to the Tone Zone:eek:
For some reason the forum time zone is GMT -7 hours,possibly something to do with the USA as this forum is linked to a few others which are based overseas.
I'm sure "posh bloke" will enlighten us in due course:)

Editor

The Salmon Atlas
The forum is GMT +1 - it's you that is behind the times :D

Click on your User CP / Edit Options and find the time settings.

Cheers

Colin

raypat

looking on the fishtyne web site it says that kielder will not be releasing more than 1.32 cumecs cos the reservoir levels are 1 meter below the release trigger. so why on earth do they go mad and release 15 cumecs, and somtimes above continualy when river levels are already good.

i know when its raining almost everyday they have to realease more to keep the reservoir level safe, i mean could they not look at the forecast and if a dry spell is predicted could they not save this water for when the river levels get low, and then release more :confused:

this dry spell is set to continue for forseeable future and now the river is warming up its not looking good for incoming salmon and sea trout. we need rain and soon but theres nothing apart from the odd shower forecast.