river torridge update: thursday 15th July

Charles Inniss

Hi folks: my apologies for not updating the report for a few weeks. We have had some rain in Devon in July and this evening the first proper downpour since Easter weekend and today is Swithins!! I still think the remainder of the summer could be catchy. Visitors from upcountry tell me at least the grass is still green down here so we are better off than some. The river will definitely be up tomorrow so check the webcam. The estuary is full of both salmon and sea trout and there are two of the biggest spring tides of the year this week. Hopefully a spate will encourage a run of fish into the river. Its amazing how the sea trout manage to run the river even in drought conditions and fish have been caught as far upstream as Sheepwash: mostly on a dry fly by trout anglers. Hopefully I will be dusting off my sea trout rod this weekend. Please let me have details of any catches, which will encourage greater fishing effort. Charles.

beaford1

Grilse caught

4lb ish, great condition, Grilse caught 9.30 this morning between Beaford and Dolton. River height good, clarity dreadful - classic grilse and mudy water take gentley retrieving line; fish took no more than 6" from bank in shallow water.
Clarity is almost "unfishable" but is improving, slightly, last hour.
Tight lines!
Simon Hillcox.

torridge peal

Well done on the fish Simon!
I hooked a lively fresh salmon yesterday in the Meeth area, which kindly released itself....the recent lift in water has brought some in!
Duncan Betts

beaford1

Thanks

Thanks Duncan; sorry for your loss but it's the take that provides the thrill?
Small grilse jumped and a much bigger fish "rolled" almost in front of my fly in the tail of the pool from which 10 minutes later I caught the grilse at the head of the pool - perhaps a pod coming through; so hopefully there are a few fish around.
Very gentle take, thought it was a large trout to begin with, he carried on swimming towards me, followed by classic grilse explosion. I reckon the water was so coloured he didn't realise he was hooked to begin with.
Bit more rain and clarity would help us and the fish.
Best,
Simon.

torridge peal

I totally agree, everything after the take is a bonus!

Its definately worth fishing hard when you see a few move around you when all has been quiet, I also experienced this on Saturday. I hadn't seen any sign of a fish for several hours then a sea trout leapt in the tail of the pool I was fishing, then a minute later one leapt above me. I moved to the pool above and hooked the salmon. Then no more activity until dusk. I thought at the time that maybe a shoal of salmon and sea trout had moved through the pools??

I also fished the lower river on Monday morning, although I had no offers I did see alot of fish, so they are about.

Good luck to all fishing.
Duncan