salmon good self spawners

hutch

the salmon is a hardy fish i recon if it is left to its own devices it will manage easy to spawn in the reds . ive seen this lots up the south tyne and wear also loch shin tribbs . the keilder hatch is wonderfull for the tyne but dont forget the south tyne salmon for many many years they have managed to egsist. even this summer the south had a cracking salmon run even with the total counts down , give the salmon some credit they are as hard as nails their only big threats are nets . seals .and low water in hot weather on the tyne . these are the only things that i recon will be a threat to the silver leaper . the rest out at sea we will never find out thats nature i hope so anyway . i know for a fact poaching [nets] on the lower tidal stretches is being wiped out slowly thats a help well done [ea] . its a big if but if we find out whats going on out in the atlantic with the salmon maybe the numbers will improve again. but i repeat myself again the salmon is a good spawner its just getting them into the rivers from far n wide they will do the rest .

Editor

The Salmon Atlas
Hi Hutch

I agree that major dangers are out at sea and that salmon given the right conditions will look after spawning for themselves.

Take a look at this article:

http://tweedfoundation.org.uk/Tweed_stocking_results.pdf

You can see what the Tweed scientists (the best salmon River in the Europe) think about stocking but also look at the captures in the North Sea drift nets. Thankfully these have been reduced but still catch a consoderable number of fish (c. 5,000).

Colin.