Week Commencing 18th March 2024

S

Sandy Howie

Hi everyone

Another week into the season, March is nearly at an end and time is certainly flying by or is that just me??

Its a fine day here in Moray but the usual Scottish climate, nearly four seasons in one day. The sun is shining at present and the wind has dropped away from what we had but it ain’t warm.

Spring continues to gather pace each and every day but we could really do with a dry spell, the garden is still cold and the soil very wet, not ideal for getting things planted and indeed could affect survival of new plants so hold back getting them out. The greenhouse is ideal at this time of year but I really need to get mine tidied as I can hardly get into it.

The last week saw a week of cold wet weather at times, interspersed with lovely sunshine but the handicap of last week was the wind. It was rough, really gusty at times and made fishing less than pleasant for those out in it and I am sure at times the fishing hut would have been a welcome shelter.

Ok enough small talk, lets see how the river fared last week. Going from upstream and heading down the river our first stop is Kinchurdy who got off the mark this week reports Simon Crozier. Ghillie Allan Grant got them underway with a fine 7lber from the Kinchurdy pool.

Simon reports that it remains quiet on Castle Grant but I am sure this will not be th case for too much longer as their first fish must be due anytime.

Downstream at Tulchan B, Dee Ghillie Brian Sim landed a cracking 20lber from the Rock Pool om a Monkey Tube. Brian was presented with a bottle of Tulchan Gin and a handtied Tulchan brooch made by Ghillie John Anderson for his capture. Well done Brian.

Briam-Sim-with-his-20lb-fish-from-Tulchan-B.jpg

Brian Sim with his 20lb fish from Tulchan B
Brian-with-his-gift-from-Tulchan-Clun-and-Estate.jpg

Brian with his gift from Tulchan CluB and Estate

As we continue our journey down the river, Archie Baillie at Knockando advises that they got started this week with their first rods fishing the latter half of the week. A blank for Wednesday and Thursday followed by different rods fishing the beat saw Knockando get off the mark,with a fish on Friday and three on Saturday in less than ideal conditions.

Lovely-fish-from-Friday-1024x768.jpg

Lovely fish from Friday
Saturdays-silver-1024x874.jpg

Saturday’s silver

Kinermony continued their steady start to the season reports David Brand with one fish in the book for the week. The lucky rod being the legend that is Edwin Whyte. I am not sure if it was the shock of actually hooking a fish but Edwin has been in hospital for the last couple of days so on behalf of everyone I would wish him a speedy recovery.

Edwin-Whyte-with-his-fine-fish-771x1024.jpg

Edwin Whyte with his fine fish

Over at Wester Elchies the fishing conditions at the end of the week made this very difficult advises Malcolm Newbould but they still managed to land a fish and lose another couple. The lucky rod being Chris Grant getting the his fish in Rhynd.

Chris-Grant-with-his-prize-in-Rhynd-768x1024.jpg

Chris Grant with his prize in Rhynd

As we continue towards the mouth of the river we stop in at Easter Elchies where Orn Sigurhansson reports a week of typical early spring weather and a good run of fish running through on Tuesday. We were very pleased to welcome the Wood fishing party from Exeter this week. Without a doubt Tuesday was the highlight with 3 cracking Spey springers landed, largest a 20lb springer from Heathery Isle. Water starting at 8 inches and now at 18 inches by Sunday, water temperature 42. Well done to all the rods.

20lbs-Heathery-Isle-768x1024.jpg

20lbs Heathery Isle
Phil-Gormley-13lb-Fiddich-Mouth-768x1024.jpg

Phil Gormley 13lb Fiddich Mouth
James-England-9lb-Ladies-Haugh-625x1024.jpg

James England 9lb Ladies Haugh

Euan Reid advises another varied week on Arndilly in terms of weather, at times some of the pools were unfishable, because of wind, but the rods battled through it.
On Monday afternoon, Derek Wiseman had our first fish from the tail of the Long Pool this season, 7.5lb. It’s unusual for it to take this long before we get one from the tail of the long pool. 15″ on the gauge.
Robert McQueen had a 10lb fish from the very neck of Cobble Pot on the left. This pool has changed a bit, but we won’t be sure how until it gets low and we have a head of fish.
The story of the week really was a 22.5lb and a 22lb fish on Friday and Saturday.
Robert McQueen had a 22.5lb fish from the path at the top of the Piles. It was a very angry and acrobat fish, jumping 8 or 9 times, and showing his dorsal fin a lot of the time. Very unusual.
Bruce Neill had a beautifully shaped, short, and deep fish from the left bank of the Soo on Saturday. It weighed 22lbs and was about as bonny a fish as you will see. Congratulations to both Robert and Bruce and thank you for making tomorrow’s team talk very easy!
The last 3 fish were caught on #8 dressed flies.

Derek-Wiseman-and-his-fish-from-the-Tail-of-the-Long-Pool-1024x771.jpg

Derek Wiseman and his fish from the Tail of the Long Pool
Robert-Mcqueen-and-his-22.5lber-from-the-Piles-461x1024.jpg

Robert Mcqueen and his 22.5lber from the Piles
Look-at-the-tail-on-the-fish-1024x771.jpg

Look at the tail on the fish!!
Bruce-neill-and-his-stunning-22lber-from-the-Soo-e1711292490290-702x1024.jpg

Bruce Neill and his stunning 22lber from the Soo
What-a-fish-1024x771.jpg

What a fish!!
Stunning-1024x771.jpg

Stunning

Next stop on the journey is Rothes and Aikenway where Robbie Stronach reports a quiet week following the vents of the previous week.

Down at Delfur, Mark Melville advises that they thankfully managed to get fishing this week. It was very quiet until Thursday morning battling against the gale force winds that we managed to catch two fish!
Trout & Salmon River Spey reporter Malcolm Newbould caught a cracking sea liced 18lb fish from Beaufort.
Steven Rose fishing Delfur for the first time had a very nice fresh 9lb fish from Collie.

Steven-Rose-fishing-Delfur-for-the-first-time-with-his-fish-from-Collie-1024x768.jpg

Steven Rose fishing Delfur for the first time with his fish from Collie
Dr-malcolm-Newbould-and-his-18lb-sealicer-from-Beaufort.jpg

Dr Malcolm Newbould and his 18lb sealicer from Beaufort

Orton did not get any fish this week but the only thing they did capture on film was this lovely Tree Creeper who tried to fly through a closed window. What a beautiful little bird.

The-Tree-Creeper-at-Orton.jpg

The Tree Creeper at Orton

Gordon Castle/Brae water were quiet for the week but please check out Fishpal for availability in the coming

The week ahead looks cold and mixed weatherwise so could make for interesting conditions as I am sure the river will be up a week bit following the heavy rain we have had a times.

Tight lines to those out and about, including myself as I get a rare day away from the workdesk.

Sandy

The post Week Commencing 18th March 2024 appeared first on River Spey.

Continue reading...